mini bike kit

anyone ever build one of these mini bike kits that are all over the net, 5 in wheels, 6in wheels etc, are they "OK" or do they uh..suck

anyone ever build one of these mini bike kits that are all over the net, 5 in wheels, 6in wheels etc, are they "OK" or do they uh..suck
The kits with the frame,wheels and everything but the engine,clutch and
chain? Never got one,but they usually don't come with any suspension of
any kind. In my opinion,I'd just find a nice "Older" frame on Ebay and
build it up from there. Make sure it has a rear swingarm,so you can put
rear shocks on it for some cushion,if you don't mind breaking your butt
on bumps,that is. I picked up an old Broncco frame for $60,then went
from there,but it will probably cost a lot more to do it that way,than to
just buy one of those so called kits. It's up to you,though. I prefer a
front and rear suspension,which makes for a very comfortable ride,no
matter where you ride the mini.Those kits are about $250-$350,depending
on what size wheels and if they are 2pc. aluminum,or one pc. steel.
Good luck,whichever route you take.:scooter:

thanks for the response, def food for thought, i'm getting into this project slow and have been doing alot of research
Slow is the way to go,took me a year to build my monstrocity. Unfortunately
I didn't or wasn't able to buy all original parts for my Broncco,but just
parts that I could afford and make fit,even though some were not even meant to fit my mini.I really wanted a tiny dirt bike,but ended up with
a mini bike with at least a real dirt bike front susp. fork. What the heck.

the Azusa kits are ok. my friend has one and it's worked well for him. it's still going to cost you to build one. i think he's about $500-$600 into it and that was with a free motor. it really just comes down to what you want. i'm considering buying one because i don't like my frame (handles funny and i don't like having suspension).

the Azusa kits are ok. my friend has one and it's worked well for him. it's still going to cost you to build one. i think he's about $500-$600 into it and that was with a free motor. it really just comes down to what you want. i'm considering buying one because i don't like my frame (handles funny and i don't like having suspension).
Since you don't like the slop of a suspension,that's the way to go. It
does cost about $600 -$800 to build up a mini from scratch,but that
is the whole reason to do it,since it's fun and satisfying to do it
all yourself. You could just buy a complete Baja mini,but what fun
is that? If you buy parts for it every week or so,it doesn't feel like
your spending one big lump sum,like buying a complete mini for $600
or so.

i guess. i bought a vintage runner and i'm still over $1000 into it now. if i knew then what i know now, i'd either just buy a roller that i like or go with a DB roller and build off that (which i'm still thinking about doing).

i'm at the point that i've got a bunch into my setup now but i don't like the frame anymore. at least i can stick the motor in something else. if i choose to go that route, i'll just find a 5hp flathead to put in my Cat frame and ride it every once in awhile.

knee deep

Well, i'm buying a kit from gokartgalaxy, they seem to have the best price with shipping..If anyone finds it cheaper please don't tell me. I bought a 6.5 clone from HF with the 20% off coupon, and the rest of the mods are coming from affordable go karts, they are great. I plan on a 22 min carb, header, air filter, removing gov. valve springs. etc
I think i'm doing good for only getting into this for 3 weeks, I have learned a ton from this site and AGK.

so i'm knee deeep now, but this is really a blast