Mini Bike welded from scratch: ELEANOR

Ill do that, I just got back from Walmart and an auto shop and I got some spray paint primer and bondo. I heard a tip from one of my relatives, he also had a crappy arc welder, he said he just covered the welds with bondo and sanded them down. Then he spary painted over it and it looked like a professional job.
yea thatll work but its a good idea to get the weld as smooth as you can with the tools you have before you slap on the bondo. a selection of metal files works ok if you dont have a grinder. Also to make the bondoing go easier you can cut it down with a heavy grit paper like 60. then go to like 100. after that you can get a tube of spot puddy. its like a really fine bondo that doesnt need mixing and is easier to sand and make look good. you can get it at most auto parts stores. that works great for a finish coat then you can primer. Also if youve never done bondo make sure you mix it real good and get the color nice and even it doesnt take much hardner but mix it well :thumbsup:

I think the hardest part of welding galvanized anything is that you are gonna poop blood for a couple days afterward. Grind it off if you can and drink lots of milk.:doah:
metal fume fever. is the name of what happens with zinc fume poising . it sucks bad ya want to puke feel like hell and every joint in your body feels like its stuck .just like a real bad case of the flu . lungs hurt ,there full of crap that wont move . i have had it a few times messing with stuff and not knowing it had zinc in it . welding or high heat is the most common way to get it but grinding on zinc plate can get ya too . never heard of the bloody dump thing before , thats not good get to the doc if you see that going on .

milk helps best thing is dont get it . work out side up wind of it or use a fan at your back . use dust masks when sanding on it

Hey Hojo,
I tried to blow up the picture a little to see the welds and from the looks of the bead on the motor plate, you may not be getting good penetration of the base metal (irregular and thin bead) , with that said I would be concerned about the strength at the steering stem if the same thing is going on there(I couldn't really tell from the pic) . I'm noy trying to critisize your work, just don't want it to snap on you. My only suggestion is keep an eye on it for cracks after a few rides and don't cover it with bondo until you're sure it will hold. oh, and wear a helmet.:hammer:

hojo

Hey Hojo,
I tried to blow up the picture a little to see the welds and from the looks of the bead on the motor plate, you may not be getting good penetration of the base metal (irregular and thin bead) , with that said I would be concerned about the strength at the steering stem if the same thing is going on there(I couldn't really tell from the pic) . I'm noy trying to critisize your work, just don't want it to snap on you. My only suggestion is keep an eye on it for cracks after a few rides and don't cover it with bondo until you're sure it will hold. oh, and wear a helmet.:hammer:
This was my first welding experience, and I know the welds suck and might not have penetrated all the way, but so far nothing as cracked or broken off. I am also worried about the steering stem and that is why I wouldn't ride this bike without a helmet. Im gona reinforce the all the welds and turn up the amps so I get good penetration. Thanks for your comment :smile:

C9H13NO3

This was my first welding experience, and I know the welds suck and might not have penetrated all the way, but so far nothing as cracked or broken off. I am also worried about the steering stem and that is why I wouldn't ride this bike without a helmet. Im gona reinforce the all the welds and turn up the amps so I get good penetration. Thanks for your comment :smile:
Since you said it was your first welding experience, I should ask. Are you chipping and wire brushing your welds before laying down another bead? If you don't you will get lots of impurities and your weld will fail.

hojo

Since you said it was your first welding experience, I should ask. Are you chipping and wire brushing your welds before laying down another bead? If you don't you will get lots of impurities and your weld will fail.
Yep I have every time. The first time I laid down a bead I found out that their was this chipper/brush in the box. I grabbed it and wacked it at the bead and a huge chunk came straight up and hit my eye. It was basically welder's burn :laugh:

Yep I have every time. The first time I laid down a bead I found out that their was this chipper/brush in the box. I grabbed it and wacked it at the bead and a huge chunk came straight up and hit my eye. It was basically welder's burn :laugh:
ouch:blink:

hojo

I just received the beast in the mail :bowdown:. The tire looks better in person, its perfect. I'm gona run to the hardware store today and get some parts to hook it up. If I'm lucky, I might try a downhill driveway testdrive tonight, can't wait.

C9H13NO3

Very nice! What size tire is that? What are you planning on doing for brakes? What are you planning on doing for a drive system? jackshaft to tire, clutch to tire, or TAV to tire?

hojo

Very nice! What size tire is that? What are you planning on doing for brakes? What are you planning on doing for a drive system? jackshaft to tire, clutch to tire, or TAV to tire?
18x8.5, im planning on doing band brakes on the clutch, clutch to tire. What's the TAV to tire, I'm new to all this.:scared:

C9H13NO3

18x8.5, im planning on doing band brakes on the clutch, clutch to tire. What's the TAV to tire, I'm new to all this.:scared:
Make sure you keep you chain tight with that setup, a TAV is a Torq-A-Verter (Torque Converter). It uses a belt and a driver and driven to chain to wheel setup. It allows for good top end speed and great acceleration, it is a CVT.

Also, if you don't have a Band brake setup yet, I might have one for sale pretty soon for cheap.

hojo

Started the bondo, its looking amazing. Here's a picture of the neck after I sanded it, lets just say it looks a tad better :wink:

hojo

:detective:
Lookin' Good! What color are you thinking for paint?
Mostly dark blue, with a couple parts being black(the triangles connect the fork, engine plate, and the rear cross brace). Then black seat. I'm still up in the air about the colors, I gota do some more visualizing and see what colors would look best.:detective:

Last edited:

hojo

Make sure you keep you chain tight with that setup, a TAV is a Torq-A-Verter (Torque Converter). It uses a belt and a driver and driven to chain to wheel setup. It allows for good top end speed and great acceleration, it is a CVT.

Also, if you don't have a Band brake setup yet, I might have one for sale pretty soon for cheap.
I don't have a band brake setup yet. I ordered my clutch the other day and should be getting it in the mail. The site where I ordered it from didn't specify the diameter, aren't they around 4-4.5"?. Anyway, what size band brake do you have and would you include the brake cable and lever?:shrug:

C9H13NO3

I don't have a band brake setup yet. I ordered my clutch the other day and should be getting it in the mail. The site where I ordered it from didn't specify the diameter, aren't they around 4-4.5"?. Anyway, what size band brake do you have and would you include the brake cable and lever?:shrug:
Most clutches are 4-4.5 diameter, I would include the cable, band, pin, and handle. I have a 4.5 inch band.