Mini Bike welded from scratch: ELEANOR

hojo

Looks good... You could weld some gussets between the neck and the frame to strengthen that weak point... :thumbsup:
You should have told me this before I did the primer and bondo :hammer:. Well if it ever breaks apart when I'm riding it, I will weld up the gussets on it.

hojo

I finished the bondo and made a big mess once again, but now all the welds are silky smooth. Im going to add another coat of primer then its off to paint, powedercoat, and chrome;...probably just paint.:wink: As you see the rear axle plates don't have holes in them. The tire I ordered didn't have any ball bearings but was a live axle with a key hole. I'm gona order a couple 1" ball bearings off ebay, then find an axle to fix snug through the bearings. As for mounting the sprocket to the rear rim, I'm going to kinda of wing it. I'm going to weld and make my own sprocket hub to bolt to the rim, I hope everything is perfectly align and strong and withstand the torque.

Last edited:
I would think you'd want to fully assemble and test it before painting it.(might minimize damage to paint)

Either way its interesting.........keep going.

EDIT: WOW just noticed your in clinton township which is somewhat close to me here in wasserforde :lol:

Last edited:
Hojo!...for someone who is fabricating a mini bike for the very first time!...Im impressed! Great Job!:thumbsup: Can't wait to see the final product!:scooter:

hojo

I would think you'd want to fully assemble and test it before painting it.(might minimize damage to paint)

Either way its interesting.........keep going.

EDIT: WOW just noticed your in clinton township which is somewhat close to me here in wasserforde :lol:
Ya thats the right thing to do, but I just don't have any patience:biggrin:. When I finish the build, you can come check it out and take it for a test drive if u want.:shrug:

Last edited:

hojo

Hojo!...for someone who is fabricating a mini bike for the very first time!...Im impressed! Great Job!:thumbsup: Can't wait to see the final product!:scooter:
Well now im 20 yrs old, if I was probably 13 or whatever and building it, I would probably need a lot of help from my dad. Ya no one is helping me with this build.

Neck

Growing up is optional
Very nice job.....

But STOP! do yourself a favor and gusset the neck section now before you ride it. Where you have the frame tubes welded to the neck are much too close together, and the leverage from the forks bouncing over rough terrain will break it very quickly, possibly causing a trip over the bars!

I understand the hurry to get it done and ride it.......but painting it will take time.
Getting it fully done and test ridden can happen sooner if your not waiting for the paint to dry.:laugh:

I may have to take you up on the ride offer since I doubt I'll be able to get or build a minibike anytime soon.

hojo

But STOP! do yourself a favor and gusset the neck section now before you ride it. Where you have the frame tubes welded to the neck are much too close together, and the leverage from the forks bouncing over rough terrain will break it very quickly, possibly causing a trip over the bars!
Ya I don't know why I welded them all to a point. I should of spaced the two pairs of bars apart. I put all my weight on the handle bars and bounce around, the weakest point of the whole setup is the length of the forks. The forks will bend before the neck of the frame breaks off. But if it does break off, Ill weld the gussets.

Neck

Growing up is optional
The forks will bend before the neck of the frame breaks off. But if it does break off, Ill weld the gussets.[/QUOTE]

Don't bet on that, it's your safety I'm concerned with. I have been welding stuff together a long time! One of my projects is in my pics.

hojo

Started the sprocket hub assembly. I know I'll probably get some shit on how I won't get it exactly perpendicular and centered, but so far the first one is perfect. I think the rim is aluminum, but I was able to get good penetration and a strong weld. After I get the 4 pipes welded on the rim, I might weld some pipe perpendicular to them and connect them all.

Last edited:
But if your using a live axle then why bolt the sprocket to the wheel.You could just buy or make a hub that locks onto the axle and bolt the sprocket to that.

Ohh well it looks good and should work.

Keep going with it.....your way WAY ahead of me on any project like that.

hojo

But if your using a live axle then why bolt the sprocket to the wheel.You could just buy or make a hub that locks onto the axle and bolt the sprocket to that.

Ohh well it looks good and should work.

Keep going with it.....your way WAY ahead of me on any project like that.
I said previous that it wasn't going to use a live axle and need to get some ball bearings off ebay.

Great little project. Be careful welding galvanized stuff, those fumes will make you sick! Now that I am middle aged, I regret those times I welded things I shouldn't have without proper ventilation. Either weld it out on the driveway, or put a good strong fan behind you and leave the garage door open.

Love the big back wheel!

hojo

Great little project. Be careful welding galvanized stuff, those fumes will make you sick! Now that I am middle aged, I regret those times I welded things I shouldn't have without proper ventilation. Either weld it out on the driveway, or put a good strong fan behind you and leave the garage door open.

Love the big back wheel!
Thanks, I welded in the garage but kept everything ventilated, but I never got one bit of sick. I guess I was a lucky:smile:

hojo

I finished the sprocket hub. I just tacked the tubes on and once I put the tire on the axle, I'll adjust them until their align, then weld em up. I just order 2 ball bearings for the rear wheel. Most likely I'll paint eleanor tomorrow.:eek:ut: