Mini Bike welded from scratch: ELEANOR

hojo

And yet you continue to drop sarcasm in your reply.
:no::no: anyway...I'm gona post some more pics later today and maybe will have a video of me and my friend on ELEANOR by Friday. Btw, don't bring eleanor into the picture, shes done nothing to you guys, coolest mini bike name.

Last edited:

hojo

I'd love to see the "what is it" thread on that one!!
Ha, Ha, thats funny. If i do crash, I don't expect it to be that bad, maybe ill just loose a foot peg. What do u guys think is gona fail, I'm a solid 215 and I jumped on all the welds and none of them budged. If you look at the bike, all my weight is transfered straight down the rear vert tube right to the slotted axle. None of the angle welds are experiencing that much force. Maybe I should make a youtube vid of me carrying my tool cart on my back riding my minibike to show how strong it is. Any of you guys are welcomed to come by if your in town and rider her. I'll pull out the radar gun and see who has the biggest balls to go the fastest.

mmisterbungl I'm sorry if you dont like the way I respond to these guys but for the most part they are doing pretty good.(as good or better than I can do...I think...we'll see later)
NO I dont want to see anyone get hurt but some people just like going to the "school of hard knocks".

The ones that are willing to listen and THINK about what they are doing will get it, the others will just keep on doing what they are doing no matter who says what.

Actually my last post stands "He's the builder and rider so if he says its good its good". Of course I was also poking a bit of fun at him.
I personally hate people rethinking any project I am doing, helpful suggestions are fine but rethinking major parts are not and I try to not do it to others.
You wont find me asking to many questions, not because I know everything that is far far from the case but because I like to find solutions myself rather than have others just give me the quick answer.(Yeah I've gone to the school of hard knocks as well)

Personally I'd try to build a frame with as many bends and as few welds in it as I could and I'd stay away from square tubing but thats just me.

I love looking at what other people come up with and cant wait until I get going on two minibike projects I have in mind this summer.

My two cents:

hojo, no matter how you slice it, the blunt comments, sarcastic comments, sugar-coated comments, and all the other comments are ultimately helpful comments to remember as your mini bike experiences go on. Even if you ultimately have to chalk-up the Eleanor as "a lesson learned," its all worth it.

Big Jim

Dude HoJo, think about what you are about to say. Most of these guys are OLDER than me and you, you have no idea what they do or did for a living.
Granted, not everyone deserves respect, but look at people join date and the number of posts and read some of them, there are some smart people that are wanting to help you not bust your neck.
Now my $.02
Like most of us, I have followed this train wreck from the first post. I had hoped his parents still have life insurance on their son, that pays out for self negligence or suicide, what ever the lawyers decide.
My first thought was he was welding this out of electrical conduit. Then I saw some of the "structural" components, I saw the forks snapping off of the neck of this thing at 35-40 mph!!! Then the rear axle/sprocket fiasco.
I can appreciate the whole Done it Myself value but..... most of the people that have tried to help this guy, with kid gloves, have not really gotten through to him.
I know when I would pay some one else for their expertise, call me old or a puss or I have sand in my Vagina, I don't like to fall down. I know what I can and cannot do, comes with age and going around the block for 20++++ years, something a book learnin' don't give you. Yes, I did go to college after trade school, for welding, I'm not sure I would weld a frame from conduit.
Then he gets pissed, about us not wanting to read about him, or see a video on Most Shocking, "Homemade Minibike Self Destructs, Slaughters Owner."
Usually when someone defends an inanimate object, minibike named Elinor, he's off in his own tangent. Let him go do his own thing.
Ultimately he has his ideas and how he wants to do it, let him go.

hojo

Dude HoJo, think about what you are about to say. Most of these guys are OLDER than me and you, you have no idea what they do or did for a living.
Granted, not everyone deserves respect, but look at people join date and the number of posts and read some of them, there are some smart people that are wanting to help you not bust your neck.
Now my $.02
Like most of us, I have followed this train wreck from the first post. I had hoped his parents still have life insurance on their son, that pays out for self negligence or suicide, what ever the lawyers decide.
My first thought was he was welding this out of electrical conduit. Then I saw some of the "structural" components, I saw the forks snapping off of the neck of this thing at 35-40 mph!!! Then the rear axle/sprocket fiasco.
I can appreciate the whole Done it Myself value but..... most of the people that have tried to help this guy, with kid gloves, have not really gotten through to him.
I know when I would pay some one else for their expertise, call me old or a puss or I have sand in my Vagina, I don't like to fall down. I know what I can and cannot do, comes with age and going around the block for 20++++ years, something a book learnin' don't give you. Yes, I did go to college after trade school, for welding, I'm not sure I would weld a frame from conduit.
Then he gets pissed, about us not wanting to read about him, or see a video on Most Shocking, "Homemade Minibike Self Destructs, Slaughters Owner."
Usually when someone defends an inanimate object, minibike named Elinor, he's off in his own tangent. Let him go do his own thing.
Ultimately he has his ideas and how he wants to do it, let him go.
I'll admit I've made some mistakes like making a homemade sprocket hub, crappy 5 dollars bearings, welded the neck at a point. But now I have the live axle setup with the live axle sprocket hub (I installed it without any pics). Then I welded some gussets to the neck. I'll repeat, none of my welds have broken through all my strength tests. I'm a pretty strong guy, check me out benching on my youtube channel - hojo2011. When you say that you think the neck is going to brake going 35-40, 1: I've almost went 50 on it and none of the welds have budge, 2: I think that the neck is actually the strongest part of the bike. The steel forks will bend before the neck will break. I'm visiting my friends on sat, since it snowed again today, and I should have a vid of us cruising around my sub.

mmisterbungl I'm sorry if you dont like the way I respond to these guys QUOTE]

Like I said, not trying to tell you how to post....was just pointing out that sometimes you gotta check reality.
Reads like your telling me how to post.
I have fairly good reading comprehension so I pretty much know exactly what your telling me.
Thats OK your entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to ignore it so it all works out just fine.
(go watch "Barney")

i love you
you love me
were a happy family
with a great big hug
and a kiss from me 2 you
wont you say you love me 2

:doah:....................................... :lol:

Anyway I still think its an interesting project but he's building it HIS way and that is fine, if I really thought it was a 200mph deathtrap I'd say so.(or even a 50mph deathtrap)

HOJO, as far as stress testing it by hand you might want to still keep a very close eye on it the first several runs.
I could stress test it for you, I'll come over with my 6' pry bar and stick it thru the neck and pull back against the frame and see if it holds up to that.
Might bend the pry bar or might snap the neck off but something would give.
(Nah I wouldnt do that to your project...mine maybe but not someone else's)

I'd like to see it in person someday maybe if I can ever get one built and make it to a meet.

hojo

Reads like your telling me how to post.
I have fairly good reading comprehension so I pretty much know exactly what your telling me.
Thats OK your entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to ignore it so it all works out just fine.
(go watch "Barney")

i love you
you love me
were a happy family
with a great big hug
and a kiss from me 2 you
wont you say you love me 2

:doah:....................................... :lol:

Anyway I still think its an interesting project but he's building it HIS way and that is fine, if I really thought it was a 200mph deathtrap I'd say so.(or even a 50mph deathtrap)

HOJO, as far as stress testing it by hand you might want to still keep a very close eye on it the first several runs.
I could stress test it for you, I'll come over with my 6' pry bar and stick it thru the neck and pull back against the frame and see if it holds up to that.
Might bend the pry bar or might snap the neck off but something would give.
(Nah I wouldnt do that to your project...mine maybe but not someone else's)

I'd like to see it in person someday maybe if I can ever get one built and make it to a meet.
That would be cool, I would want to paint her first though and cover up all my old welds with the bondo again :smile:. Some of my later welds look like a professional did it, I think I've mastered welding in my short 2 month experience and can lay down a perfect dime bead. I can't wait to ride her in 50+ degree weather, I'm tired of all this snow and sub 30 weather with a newly built bike.

yeah they look nice all painted up.
Even though this winter has come back a bit lately its over for the most part with spring right around the corner.:thumbsup:

I need to make a steel run before to long so I have it on hand if/when I get laid off.I think I'll just go to pontiac steel since they are close.