Mini Choppers and Street riding.

Worcester Mass,i have been riding my mini chopper on the streets for about
10 years now,get pulled over a few times each year.Never got a ticket.
The mini choppers seem to fit the definition of a moped yet most cops do not seem to know this until they read the registration.I get [Moped Sticker]$40.00 every 2 years.Just picked 2 more choppers off craigs list already bought [Moped Stickers]for them.One is a clutched 4 speed[worried about that] though i will ride it anyhoo.
The 1st picture[the black bike][4 speed semi auto] is the one i have been riding for the past 10 years.The 2 other bikes are my new ones.
Orange one is [clutched 4 speed]Blue one [4 speed semi auto.]
All 48/49 cc.Dressing them up a bit this winter.

choppers10 001.jpg choppers11 004.jpg choppers11 003.jpg choppers11 001.jpg choppers10 009.jpg

You would not get away with that here, there are no moped stickers plus if you can't peddle them they are not considered mopeds here. The seat height is too low to be considered a scooter also so there just is no way around the rules here, it would be nice though. You do have a fleet of them for sure, not my thing but I've ridden a few and they are fun.

You would not get away with that here, there are no moped stickers plus if you can't peddle them they are not considered mopeds here. The seat height is too low to be considered a scooter also so there just is no way around the rules here, it would be nice though. You do have a fleet of them for sure, not my thing but I've ridden a few and they are fun.
It's the same here, but you kinda have to know Worcester to understand lol.
Also OP you don't have to be specific about where you ride, don't incriminate yourself. I was just curious which neighborhood in Worcester, I lived in the area for 7 years and worked there for a time. I worked on Shrewsbury St.

I ride all over worc. and surrounding towns,stay off roads with speed limit over 45,,
Also bring them to NH,Salisbury/Hampton/Laconia and such.
Ma. has 2 definitions of a moped,non pedal bicycle with a motor which opens up the door for ...............use your imagination.
I be leave NH has similar laws.

Started a message board a while back to try and jump start some get togethers with other area moped riders but not to much interest i guess,of maybe i just dident advertise long enough,,.
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/MiniMotorcyclesAndMopeds/info
massacre,good weather is just ahead,,,,i live in the Lincoln st area.
Join the message board and anyone else for that matter,,,,,lets ride.........,,,,,,,,

Last edited:

Street Smart

Back about 15 years ago we used to go to Worcester every year for the New England Nationals. I used to drive my race car around town open headers with slicks the whole weekend, cops were really kool.

I forgot to add that there are a lot of gray areas in the laws,with those gray areas
come more gray areas with the mini choppers,,,,,,,
For the most part as long as your not riding like a nut things
be fine.

Last edited:
It does certainly vary from town to town and it helps to be familiar with your cops, I can ride within a mile or so depending on the direction without any cop issues but have been told once to shut it off and push when I was running an open exhaust. I'm looking for a low mile TW200 Yamaha to run errands on to keep from getting a ticket when riding further. I took an old Arco minibike that was rough as hell and grafted a Schwinn OCC chopper frame section and forks to it for my Son, we recently changed the ugly plastic Arco tank with an oval steel tank with an original candy apple red paint job with nice wear. We call it The Rat Bastard, it's my interpretation of a mini chopper.