Montgomery Wards 525 minibike Project

Picked up a Montgomery Wards 525 Mini Bike. Never finished my Trail Blazer project yet either, that is another story. Took a lot of flack from my Wife, "What do we need that for", but got a good deal so here it sits in my garage. Or at least seemed like a deal, till I dug into it. He said it just needed air in the rear tire. Well, tube is shot, rear bearings need replaced, brake assembly and spacers of rear shaft is missing some parts. Motor runs but doesn't idle. A lot of minor stuff. He said it was rusty, so he had it all painted up, different color, said he couldn't find the original color in spray paint. I'm just hoping the paint sticks and rust doesn't start showing again, ran into that on my trail blazer project. The motor is a 5 hp Tecumseh, that runs but doesn't idle. Can't find any model number on it, as it is all painted white. So I'm gonna order a tube, and bearings and other parts. The question I have and maybe some of the experts on here can help me. What would the band brake assembly and rear wheel shaft assembly on this look like? Seems like parts are missing. Does anyone have pics of this? Also, where underneath all that paint on the motor would I find a model/serial number? May need a carb kit for it?

The Mini Bike is a:
Montgomery Wards 525 Mini-bike
Model: GIL-13987A
S/N: 07X81863
Motor: Tecumseh 5 hp

I did a search for wards brake and found a picture but cant get the link to work. Try searching with this: Wards 525 brake and drum

I searched "Wards 525 brake and drum" and did see a pic. I wish I could see from the other side, or how that band brake attaches. Doesnt look to be a normal band brake found on OldMiniBikes warehouse. Looks like it has a L shaped pin attached to it.

I like to picture of your minibike, mine doesnt have the head light.

Nice pics, I see mine is missing the silver colored bracket that holds the cable conduit. Also the way mine was set up it was using a bolt and nut to hold the brake band, not an L shaped pin. Did you weld that pin on yourself or did you buy it that way?

ELT

I searched "Wards 525 brake and drum" and did see a pic. I wish I could see from the other side, or how that band brake attaches. Doesnt look to be a normal band brake found on OldMiniBikes warehouse. Looks like it has a L shaped pin attached to it.

I like to picture of your minibike, mine doesnt have the head light.
I found a band for mine that bolted on one end and had a pin on the other end, I think from Stens. The pin went right through the leaver and worked out well. I don't think you will find a band with the origonal L shaped rod. Some bikes didn't have the tall braket for the brake cable. The cable ajuster just goes through the short ear bent around on the swing arm.

Found a tube on OldMiniBikes Warehouse. Free shipping tonight so better make an order. A question I have for all you Wards Minibike owners, is on making my own band brake. I see most guys modified the band brake by cutting off the ends, then welding a L shaped pin to one end and angle iron to the other to bolt to the bracket on the minibike frame. Finally to my question, if my brake drum measures 4 5/8", what size brake band should I order to modify? 4 1/2" or 4 3/4", those are the two sizes sold on OldMiniBikes warehouse. I'm thinking 4 1/2 is to tight, but with the parts welding on, wondering if that would work? What do you guys order?

Thats what I thought too. I ordered a 4 3/4 to modify. Got the new tube, bearings and brake band in the mail. Hope to work on it this weekend.