Morel Mushrooms-

Anyone else on here hunt/eat/sell the ever so illusive Morel mushrooms?? It's getting to be that super small window that comes but once a year and if there are others on here that mess with these I would be curious to see where you are and when/how many of which type you found- Thanks.

I found like 15 jumbos and 20 or so medium size....all on accident....I was cutting my grass up north and I saw some whit stuff go flying..I shut my mower off and sure as sh*t a whole patch of them...I think the locals grab them now before I get to them...

I have been given some in the past by my old boss, and other things like Elk and Deer burger . She shares the salmon that they smoke. Bless the friends that glean the nature
And share the rewards :bowdown::bowdown::thumbsup:.
Steve :scooter:

I used to take my father turkey hunting in southern Ohio in the spring. I'd try and hunt and he and his friend would bound about the woods picking those things. Let's say they got more mushrooms than I got turkeys.

Doc

They are up this way in Northeast WA. I don't hunt them but many of the locals do. They also pick something called Shaggy Maines which I haven't a clue what they are. The only thing I pick are my friends and my nose, in that order.:wink:

There's an old Henny Youngman joke (really showing my age :doah:) about a guy going to the electric chair....

Warden: "You can have anything in the world you want, anything you desire..."
Con: "I'll have mushrooms"
Warden: "Mushrooms?"
Con: "Yeah I was always afraid to eat them...."

We have Reishi mushrooms here that i always see buyers looking for on cl. I always see them around the woods but they have to be pretty big and nice to be sellable . If youre always out in the woods its somthing to look for I suppose :laugh:

buckeye

Buddy up home use to have a sweet spot. Told me great stories of his comando approach to "his" spot.
He knew people would try to follow him, so he would go and mislead them. Park his truck by a woods and have his wife take him to his spot.
Then leave out and come out from another woods with duffel bag full.

As the story goes, he was the best danged mushroom hunter in the whole dang county.:thumbsup:

I love wild mushrooms and Morels are a favorite for sure. I do have woods around me and would love to try mushroom hunting. Thanks for the links.
In western MA we do get Morels, Chanterelles, Hen-of-the-woods, etc. Very interesting that people hunt truffles in WA state, I thought that truffles only grew in Europe?

It's funny that for one a LOT of folks are afraid to try wild mushrooms but unless you are really totally blind if you know what they look like you will get the right ones. Also once you have had them properly prepared-I prefer a light breading and deep fried-you will fall in LOVE and besides they are soo seasonal it's just something to look forward to. Also as far as finding them I personally have the best luck NOT in the woods but around OLD abandoned industrial areas and especially ones that have/had rail tracks on the property. Prior to 3 years ago I would MAYBE find a couple of handfuls. Once I started looking in the above described areas I now find more than the Wife unit and I can consume so long as I get there early enough-

And ABSOLUTELY on the Onion Bag-

Worse part is I gotta pack a piece in the areas I go. Seems like there is always someone "Squatting" on these old abandoned factories for whatever reason BUT do to the lack of foot traffic like I said they are the hot spots-

fistfullabar

It's funny that for one a LOT of folks are afraid to try wild mushrooms but unless you are really totally blind if you know what they look like you will get the right ones. Also once you have had them properly prepared-I prefer a light breading and deep fried-you will fall in LOVE and besides they are soo seasonal it's just something to look forward to. Also as far as finding them I personally have the best luck NOT in the woods but around OLD abandoned industrial areas and especially ones that have/had rail tracks on the property. Prior to 3 years ago I would MAYBE find a couple of handfuls. Once I started looking in the above described areas I now find more than the Wife unit and I can consume so long as I get there early enough-

And ABSOLUTELY on the Onion Bag-

Worse part is I gotta pack a piece in the areas I go. Seems like there is always someone "Squatting" on these old abandoned factories for whatever reason BUT do to the lack of foot traffic like I said they are the hot spots-
I miss the old up north "post industrial landscape" Just be careful on ya adventures Bill but then again after balancing my crank with 9mm bullets im sure you will be "safe":laugh: