Moto Skeeter 650s - few questions

Hello all, relatively new, poster, been cruising and reading when I can for a little while...educating myself...

as the title of my thread would suggest, I have 2x Moto Skeeters, BSE 5.5 motors, complete and (usually) in running order.

I've restored them to running condition (not museum but mechanically sound) for my two pre teen boys. Quick enough to have fun, not so quick to kill themselves.... lol

Anyway, beleive it or not they are still running the original skeeter drive belts (skeeter stamped on 'em). Does anyone have a 'current' belt and part number? I asked a rep from goodyear, they didn't have anything to cross reference...just worried about reliabiltiy here...42yrs later one of them is bound to snap...

Also, spark plug for the BSE. what is the proper (and again current) plug and part number...for that matter too, what 'gap' should they have?

Ive seen other posts for throttle cable assembly's - please let me know if anyone has had luck...i've bastardized current parts and bicycle cables, but would rather have the right stuff, again reliability....

And last question which is perplexing me the most...one of my machines lately won't start...(I have some mechanical knowledge, good enough to tear them appart and put them back together, clean em up etc...) The plug is getting spark, and it is also 'wet' so I'm guessing its getting gas too...but the darn thing won't start...any other obvious things I'm missing...commons sense says gas, spark, and air should start a combustion engine...so I've got 2 of 3, and the carb seems fine (they're not that complex), so I can't imagine that the air part of the equation isn't there...its it a timing/magneto thing (but I do have spark)? Thats a little past my mechanical knowledge...that is without some guidance...

sorry for the length of the post, I'll get some pics posted just for fun too :)

Nice to here of more 'skeeters out there. :thumbsup: the thing about 2 strokes like those in your Moto-Skeeter is that if the crankcase is sucking air, often through wore out crankshaft seals, it won't start or will be hard to start. But does it fire when you try starting it? Is the spark weak?

As far as spark plugs go, I could check this weekend for you, I have a Autolite or NGK in mine just not sure the number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Motra

The engine is a Robin EC10. I don't know if Skeeter rebadged them with BSE labels or if BSE made copies of the Robin engine. I could email you the parts and service manuals for the EC10 if you want.

thanks for the replies Clayon and Motra..

I have to admit a stupid questoin, I was always under the impression that these were 5.5 bse, but went and looked at them again last night (no stickers or tags remain) and I'm not sure how I knew that...I may have just been assuming...the tag on the front forks shows model # etc, but nothing that I see to indicate what model they are...I beleive the 650 and 550 look the same? Anyway to tell 100% from the model # or such?

Or perhaps what model # etc does yours indicate Clayon?

Now I admit my ignorance, but I always thought and read that these are BSE motors? Motra you indicate otherwise?

Clayon, I saw your resto post, what have you found for belts?

Thanks for all the info - Much appreciated!

My bike is running a Honda clone motor now because of issues with the clutch so no I haven't found a replacement belt.

If you could take and post a picture of your bike it would be great because it would be easier to ID your engines. The 550 and 650 were the same, just different motors, 5.5hp in the 550, 6.5hp in the 650. The 5.5hp BSE had a full shroud and recoil, the 650 just had a recoil that bolted to the block.

ok we'll find out in a minute if I did the picture download thing properly:

Bikes

Serial Plates (not sure if this is at all helpful)

And just for fun and trivia, the original tool kit and 'service card'

Hopefully that helps?

You have 2 nice bikes there, and the original tool kit is cool too. Yes, those would be 550's, the 550's only looked like that in '72, in '71 they were the same frame as the 450.