Motovox Doodle

New poster here, looking for some advice and didn't see it in a search.
Bought a MBX10 for our 7 year old's birthday, now looking for the next stage upgrade(s).

I'm OK with the top end on the stock motor until he gets a little older, but we have a pretty decent grade in our back yard & it won't pull him straight up it.

Looking only to improve the torque on start-up and give it some pull up the hill, would you recommend going with a jackshaft kit for a while and ultimately to the a Predator, or just jump straight to the Predator?

Thanks!

For the money I have into this bike- you can't beat these motovox. It fits a taller person much better than a db30. Its one of my favorite bikes to ride.

Bought a MBX10 for our 7 year old's birthday, now looking for the next stage upgrade(s).

I'm OK with the top end on the stock motor until he gets a little older, but we have a pretty decent grade in our back yard & it won't pull him straight up it.

Looking only to improve the torque on start-up and give it some pull up the hill, would you recommend going with a jackshaft kit for a while and ultimately to the a Predator, or just jump straight to the Predator?

Thanks!
PM sent!

GustoGuy

Thanks!
I have a Predator 212cc on mine and I like it but I am 5 11" 193lbs and it moves really well with me on it. The Predator 212cc is way too much engine for a 7 year old to handle and they could end up getting hurt.:no: My 23 year old step daughter whisky throttled it last year and wheelied it off the curve into the middle of the street and wiped out. She bruised her hip and skinned up her elbow. :eek:For your 7 year old I would recommend the Pro-mod jack shaft kit from hot rod mini bike. Brad's got a nice jack shaft kit that will bolt onto the stock 2.8hp engine and the bike will preform much better and will even climb hills with adults on it. When he gets to be about 12 years old or older then I would think about a Predator 212cc. The Predator 212cc 7hp OHV engine is a good engine for older children or adults but downright potentially dangerous even for adult newbies and totally hazardous for little kids.

Last edited:
I have a Predator 212cc on mine and I like it but I am 5 11" 193lbs and it moves really well with me on it. The Predator 212cc is way too much engine for a 7 year old to handle and they could end up getting hurt.:no: My 23 year old step daughter whisky throttled it last year and wheelied it off the curve into the middle of the street and wiped out. She bruised her hip and skinned up her elbow. :eek:For your 7 year old I would recommend the Pro-mod jack shaft kit from hot rod mini bike. Brad's got a nice jack shaft kit that will bolt onto the stock 2.8hp engine and the bike will preform much better and will even climb hills with adults on it. When he gets to be about 12 years old or older then I would think about a Predator 212cc. The Predator 212cc 7hp OHV engine is a good engine for older children or adults but downright potentially dangerous even for adult newbies and totally hazardous for little kids.
Thanks for the replies & the PM from MV. The jackshaft will be the next "reward" for good behavior.

On the kit, do you have to modify the stock chain guard to add it?

He was on me since he was sure I put in "slow oil" when we made the first change.

On the kit, do you have to modify the stock chain guard to add it?
Here are some pictures that Brad@ProMod provided. He adapted the stock chainguard to fit over the jackshaft kit. Many customers just ditch the stock one and use the PMR clutch cover instead. They cover about the same amount.

Mean Dean

Motovox

Thanks!
You can build a custom Max Torque clutch that is like a stall converter in a race car. It will let the motor wind up more before it hits and not that expensive. A new one built is $60.00

I custom built the exhaust from the stock muffler mount, and an old b&s muffler. I just cut off the mounts, and added some pipe between the mount and muffler. I also added a heat shield under the seat, as the seat base on these MV's are plastic. So far I haven't had any problems.

Now I need some decent brakes! I've almost broke my neck a couple of times. I'm thinking of adding a disc brake to the front. Wonder if I can just get another rear wheel and install on the front?

I'm thinking of adding a disc brake to the front. Wonder if I can just get another rear wheel and install on the front?
If you have the mbx10 front end I don't see why it wouldn't work. It's done on the doodlebugs fairly often. The mbx11 shock tubes would make welding a caliper mount tab pretty tough, if not impossible.

Yea I drilled new holes in the stock mount plate. I was too cheap to buy the adapter plate. I don't have any adjustment at the engine right now as I didn't elongate the holes yet. I was only test fitting at the time, but everything fit really well. I may just fab up a chain tensioner, and leave the mounting plate alone.

Can anyone tell me if the carb on the stock 2.5 engine has a pilot jet? Mine wont idle without the choke on so I tore the carb down to clean it. I see a main jet but don't see where a pilot jet would be. I blew cleaner and air through every orifice I could see but I still have the no idle without choke problem.

Do these carbs even have pilot jets? Also, it appears my air/fuel needle is factory set and not adjustable.

Thanks for any help.

reminds a little of the murray. wonder how hard itll be to get a bigger motor in it. with all the doodle issues im not surprised places are phasing them out. i wonder who the parent company is. im gonna guess some chinese company.
I think the Predator 212cc motor looks to big in there , I put a Briggs & Stratton 3.5HP 148cc motor in one and it fits awesome & looks awesome too. imho