MrPat's 2015 Vintage class OldMiniBikes build off entry: Taco T100

This is one of the rims. Both front and rear rims have 2 coats of silver paint on them but there aren't any gouges or scuffs on them, so that's a bonus. I'm going to attempt to remove the paint without blasting the rims.

Hey Karen, I used this stuff since I've been working in the basement and it seemed to work well with a plastic scraper. Unfortunately the front rim wasn't as pretty under all that paint. Lol

Got the sprocket and backing plate all painted up with some epoxy paint. I'm hoping that the epoxy paint will hold up a little better than enamel.

I was messing around with the sand blaster and this busted up, dirty, painted rim half. The sand blasting is sooo cost effective and does an excellent job.

:scared: Scared me mrpat...I thought you blew plum threw the good wheel . lol Sandblasting, is a quick and easy way to clean a ton of stuff.

I've decided to go ahead and blast my rims. 45 years of gunk and paint disappear in 5 minutes!

Before......

After.......

Does anyone know how thise rims were originally finished? I can't really tell from the ads if they were just painted silver or if they were all polished up.

JTG

Pat, That drum sprocket and brake are not the originals Taco used. Your drum sprocket looks like a Bonanza and your Bendix brake fits a lot of bikes. I mention this because this may cause problems when it comes time to secure the brake. I saw the correct drum sprocket for sale at Mac's yard sale. The original brake is still made by Azusa today. I to media blast wheels. I would suggest you consider switching to glass beads over sand. Glass beads leave a much more desirable finish which in many cases don't require paint. If you want the shinny finish consider having the wheels ball burnished...it's cheap.

Thank you Tom. This build is moving a lot slower than I first anticipated, but as long as I keep making small steps it will get there.

CarPlayLB

Thank you Tom. This build is moving a lot slower than I first anticipated, but as long as I keep making small steps it will get there.
It's a long race Pat...pace yourself!
You are the guideline for my build! I have to keep referring back to your thread for help with mine! Thank you!

It's a long race Pat...pace yourself!
You are the guideline for my build! I have to keep referring back to your thread for help with mine! Thank you!
Thank you sir. I have been reading a lot and looking at pics trying to figure this bike out. I am trying not to just jump in without a plan.