MTD Flyer SS003 - Original wheel size/setup

TheCoot

Hey guys

So I’ve got an MTD Flyer, but it’s just a frame. Needing to know what kind of wheel setups they came with and brake setup. I’m really new to mini bikes, so any info is greatly appreciated! I’m glad to be here!

mustangfrank

Hey guys

So I’ve got an MTD Flyer, but it’s just a frame. Needing to know what kind of wheel setups they came with and brake setup. I’m really new to mini bikes, so any info is greatly appreciated! I’m glad to be here!
Upload a picture to make sure you're getting the best info. If you're restoring it probably best to start looking for a parts bike, MTD brakes, wheels (and jackshafts, clutch covers) were unique to the brand.

Hey guys

If its an SS300 I built one in 2017 Build Off , you can find it in the build off archives section , it may help you .

TheCoot

Upload a picture to make sure you're getting the best info. If you're restoring it probably best to start looking for a parts bike, MTD brakes, wheels (and jackshafts, clutch covers) were unique to the brand.
thanks for the info. I’ve attached a picture from when I got it to now. Any direction you can send me would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

TheCoot

If its an SS300 I built one in 2017 Build Off , you can find it in the build off archives section , it may help you .
Is yours the hunter green one? Man that one is super nice!! I hope it’s not impossible to find parts. Can I not use any of the wheels and tires off any aftermarket sites?

Is yours the hunter green one? Man that one is super nice!! I hope it’s not impossible to find parts. Can I not use any of the wheels and tires off any aftermarket sites?
Its the green one , the MTD wheels are specific wthe the bearing hubs they have as the rear one also doubles as a brake drum . You certainly can go aftermarket but likely will need a different brake set up like a clutch band brake !

TheCoot

Its the green one , the MTD wheels are specific wthe the bearing hubs they have as the rear one also doubles as a brake drum . You certainly can go aftermarket but likely will need a different brake set up like a clutch band brake !
ah ok, I was looking at running a band brake on it. What wheel size will I be able to use? And I noticed the the axles are smaller I believe than my only other point of reference which is a doodlebug. Thank you for the info and you have an impressive build there sir!

Thanks , the axels are 1/2" on MTD , 1/2" bearings are readily available for aftermarket wheels , you want to use 6" wheels , probably 3.5" wide

Thanks , the axels are 1/2" on MTD , 1/2" bearings are readily available for aftermarket wheels , you want to use 6" wheels , probably 3.5" wide
great! I’ll get those ordered. It’s a mini bike for my son, so going to explore tire options with him. Now, this is going to sound crazy, but what is a Jack shaft and what’s the purpose?

Looks like i'll be going with a clutch brake for sure. Are these pretty effective? I'm just going with the small predator so it won't be terribly fast.

In the endless pursuit of parts for this ride, I haven't been able to find any 1/2" axles, but seems like I could use a long threaded or shouldered bolt to use as an axle. Like I said, total newbie so if this is a dumb question I apologize. I have located wheels and bearings thus far.