MTD MudBug score

Nice find I never have seen one of the Mudbugs in person but your so lucky to find one with that nice 8 HP Tecumseh they provide great power that a trike needs.
Steve

2SlickNick

Not a whole heck of a lot of information to be found on these.
I am unsure of the year, but the front suspension leads me to believe it is a later model.

Model
372-720-200 B

Last edited:

2SlickNick

Ya,I am still super psyched about it. I already have it taken apart and other than surface rest it it looks great.
I don't have a sand blaster or large compressor but will wire wheel everything and soda blast tight spots. I will NOT do rattle can paint job ( my buddy has compressor with sprayer) I am thinking of doing black with flakes for the frame. Leave the shell the way it sits and make a seat. I will replace all hardware, bearings, shocks and tires

Then fix leak ( probably a missing crush washer - or gasket) in motor.

2SlickNick

Okay guys,
I have the differential off and cleaned up, just waiting on the tecumseh bentonite grease to arrive. I did restore and paint sebac shocks and driven unit. The driver is pretty bad (it is a 1"bore driver and the belt has about 2-3mm ground in to the sheave). I hope to start wire wheeling the heck out the frame this weekend.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NbXUkmGonQ

2SlickNick

I had a moment of insanity....
I have decided to keep all as it came stock......
I can always add a predator and different TC if needed; later.
But it is best to just keep it stock and keep everything together that came from the factory.
I just have to figure out how to make the 8hp tec stop leaking oil from gov arm hole.

2SlickNick

Just ordered some parts ;)
2 new 20x10-8 turf saver, 16x6.5-8 front tire, all new bearings ( js, axle, and steering), throttle assembly with 100" cable, springs for TC driver, official mud bug fork decal.
Just need some brake levers and I should be in business.

2SlickNick

differential complete

Attached forks, main frame, and sub frame.
Just need to seat the bead on these 20 x 10 - 8 tires, then it will be a roller.

2SlickNick

Well after disassembly and reassembly I discovered the reason for the leak out of the governor arm hole. The governor Rod is bent. I probably should have just spent the $30 and bought a new governor assembly but I did not, I decide to just totally remove the governor. To help preserve this 40-year-old engine I will just install my tachometer and try to keep it under 4000 RPMs. I will post pics and video when I get a chance tomorrow.