Murray makeover

Ok, so this isn't a vintage, and it's not a popular bike by any means with this online community, but it's my first experience with a mini and it's a learning experience that I guess everyone starts with at some point in their "big kid" life.. I was one of the kids who never got a go kart, four wheeler, motorcycle, etc... when I was a youngster, so the natural bug has bitten me and I've started tinkering with off-road vehicles within the past few months. So here's the start, of what it looked like straight off CraigsList.

I rode it a few times around the neighborhood, motor is reliable, but seems to have ZERO compression from what I can tell. After I had my initial fun, I stripped it bare (which I should have taken pictures of, but didn't) and it's now in the hands of my sandblasting/painting guy. He's had it for longer than I care to mention, but as long as I get it back, I'm happy!
So in the meanwhile, I will post some pics of the various minor preparations being done for the rest of the bike.

Tires have been cleaned,

Clutch was in great shape, but dirty/rusty. still debating on whether I want to replace it or just slap it back on.

And the last pic is the photoshopped color I am hoping I end up with on the frame

The stock handlebars are gay looking IMO, so I thought I'd go with a lower profile, or even straight bars if i can ever find some that I like. I bought some new dirt bike bars from the cycleplex but they are LONG. I will make the decision to cut them down some when I get the bike back together and see how they look as is. I'm sure they will be chopped, but never know until I see it.

Looks like it coming along nicely for you. What engine are you going with on it. I have a Murray bike, I'm running a 6.5 clone engine and a 66 tooth rear sprocket 12 front and it really gets moving with that set up.

Ok, so this isn't a vintage, and it's not a popular bike by any means with this online community, but it's my first experience with a mini and it's a learning experience that I guess everyone starts with at some point in their "big kid" life.. I was one of the kids who never got a go kart, four wheeler, motorcycle, etc... when I was a youngster, so the natural bug has bitten me and I've started tinkering with off-road vehicles within the past few months. So here's the start, of what it looked like straight off CraigsList.
The murray racer is pretty popular IMO and is a great minibike! I like the green, looks great so far! Cant wait to see the tank on it, my buddy down the road has a track2 and it is in stock trim with a clone. Damn that thing is fast!

And they handle good, I like to come up with a way to put a disc brake off a DB30 and use the hydraulic brake on mine. The brake is not the greatest on the Murray bikes.

Tank

Tank
damn fly landed on the first pass i was making at it with primer. had to resand that spot.:001_9898:
Hey MMB, Looking good Man. That's going to be a cool color for your frame. Did ya get that Petcock for your tank yet? Keep the Pics coming. Great Job. :thumbsup: :smile:

Hey MMB, Looking good Man. That's going to be a cool color for your frame. Did ya get that Petcock for your tank yet? Keep the Pics coming. Great Job. :thumbsup: :smile:
No petcock yet, i figure i'll order it when they are open for business hours, won't go out until then anyway. But thank you very much for the link! I got it book marked for order.

I'm anxious to see the frame. Once I get it, I'm sure it will be back together in no time, but still need to look at engines.

Looks like it coming along nicely for you. What engine are you going with on it. I have a Murray bike, I'm running a 6.5 clone engine and a 66 tooth rear sprocket 12 front and it really gets moving with that set up.
That's a good question, for now, the stock H35 will go back in for test run when it's all put back together. I would ideally like to have a 6 or 6.5 in there when it's all ready for the pits. And the stock sprocket on there, now...sheesh, i don't know how many teeth are on it, but its super big. I'm not used to gearing these larger machines. I used to race 1/8 scale gas off road buggies and we always went down on the clutch bell teeth for the low end torque, we could care less about top end for the most part. I've never messed with the larger sprocket. So any suggestions there (which you've already indirectly made one, with your set up), would be appreciated. I think the stock bell on it right now is a 10 tooth. And if i remember correctly, i think I counted the teeth the other day - maybe 70??

Are you happy with the clone?

No petcock yet, i figure i'll order it when they are open for business hours, won't go out until then anyway. But thank you very much for the link! I got it book marked for order.

I'm anxious to see the frame. Once I get it, I'm sure it will be back together in no time, but still need to look at engines.
Again I'm dissapointed in Spookytooth! Mine both came with petcocks for $20 and $10 shipping, they must be on to the fact minibikers are using them and selling them seperately!

Again I'm dissapointed in Spookytooth! Mine both came with petcocks for $20 and $10 shipping, they must be on to the fact minibikers are using them and selling them seperately!
Seriously, you think there would be a notification or something that says petcock sold separately. They do however, show at the bottom of the page a "you may also be interested in" section that shows the brass petcock. Again, it would be nice to even post it in the picture of the gas tank, showing the fitting and the words "sold separately"! More sales, less headache.
Tear Drop Gas Tank 2.5 Liter

I also have the track2 . Its one of my favorites. The only down fall is the shitty 3.5 techumseh thats on there. I thought It was just mine(feels like it has no compression at all), but hey I guess its not.

That's a good question, for now, the stock H35 will go back in for test run when it's all put back together. I would ideally like to have a 6 or 6.5 in there when it's all ready for the pits. And the stock sprocket on there, now...sheesh, i don't know how many teeth are on it, but its super big. I'm not used to gearing these larger machines. I used to race 1/8 scale gas off road buggies and we always went down on the clutch bell teeth for the low end torque, we could care less about top end for the most part. I've never messed with the larger sprocket. So any suggestions there (which you've already indirectly made one, with your set up), would be appreciated. I think the stock bell on it right now is a 10 tooth. And if i remember correctly, i think I counted the teeth the other day - maybe 70??

Are you happy with the clone?
I switch out my rear sprocket for a 66 tooth 35# chain Azusa sprocket the stock rear is a 72 tooth 41 chain size. I wanted a smaller sprocket those stock ones do not look that great one the bikes in my opinion. So I went with the 12 tooth 35# max torque clutch on the front, I can get a lot of top end speed and the 6.5 clone make enough power to get up to speed quick.
Here's a picture of it.

ok, is that just this motor here....the very top one?? why are these so sheep?
NR RACING

also, i would like to have a straight pipe like yours out the back, where do you guys get a hold of something like that, besides fabricating them?

I switch out my rear sprocket for a 66 tooth 35# chain Azusa sprocket the stock rear is a 72 tooth 41 chain size. I wanted a smaller sprocket those stock ones do not look that great one the bikes in my opinion. So I went with the 12 tooth 35# max torque clutch on the front, I can get a lot of top end speed and the 6.5 clone make enough power to get up to speed quick.
Had you left the stock sprocket on it would be a handfull off the line! My buddy has one with a clone and it will hurt you if you aint paying attention, it has put more people on thier behind than my blue DB which is up to 3 now since my son got overconfident! And it has the 66 tooth rear where my other has a 70! I love the murray and have offered Paul $350 for his but no go! I can get a stock one for $375 new in box from a dude here in OK but they have the 3.5 tec. which aint bad like stock DB bad but not enough power for me!

Do you still have the old sprocket? If so can you tell me the bolt pattern? I have a minibike I'm doing for the grandchildren and the sprocket on it now is warped some. The bolt pattern is 2 1/8" directly across center to center. If it's the same pattern would you be interested in selling it? Please contact me at furbar53@aol.com

Bill

Last edited: