Muskin cat collectibility

red baron

How collectible are Muskin cat mini bikes? I know some are more so than others. I think it wise to know so you need to know when a bike is just not a good candidate for restoration.

FunWithStuff

I think just about every mini bike brand is collectible in one way or another. I have found that HPE/Muskin Cats do tend to be very collectible, especially some of the more bigger models like the Dominator, Eliminator, Wildcat, Duster MX, 400X, etc. They are mainly more collectible because it is easier for all of the "grown-up" people to ride them compared to the smaller models.

If you could show us what kind of Cat you are looking at we might be able to give you a little more help in making a decision. When it comes to a restoration of Cats, having more parts when starting is better, because Cat parts tend to fetch high prices even when they are in rough condition and you might also have to spend years looking for a part if it is a very rare part.

I am personally a fan of HPE/Muskin Cats so they are definitely collectible to me!

red baron

Ironically enough i hated lawnmower powered anything when I was a kid. I had Honda and Kawasaki bikes. Just the opposite now lol. My point was somethings just aren’t worth putting a lot of money into as a restoration, those are better left as riders. You did answer my question though. I have a cat 400x and its straight and not rusty but it’s missing to much to restore I think. I plan to ice race it for fun but I won’t destroy it. I’ll pick up correct pieces when I can and eventually I might have a decent bike. I just can’t justify the price of a kills switch plate. Thanks for the input

FunWithStuff

Yeah I wasn't alive during the mini-bike era. The collectable value of these Cats to me comes from the fact that I love how they are designed and their looks.

Yeah unfortunately Cat parts are very pricey. The reason the kill switch plates are worth a lot is because they are considered an "elusive" part. That means that if you were to find a Cat bike, it is more than likely missing that part along with the Chain Guards. Normally those were the first parts that either broke or were removed so service could be done to the bikes but then they don't get put back on and end up being lost over time.

I do hope you can get enjoyment out of your Cat though even if you can't get all of your parts! Or if not, good luck finding what parts you need!

Cats are very collectible. Too collectible .:). good used parts are now through the roof on pricing.
I was collecting and restoring cats before there was even an internet. I sold off all my original and restored cats when I moved for probably a tenth of what they’re worth now. I saved some frames and parts and some engines and stuff, and brought them with me.
these days, I just use up the frames and parts I have to make restomods. Cat purists will want to look away, but I won’t pay the inflated prices and I have just as much fun putting these together. A couple here.

DEC92C29-4DA7-4111-B57D-E08377EFA951.jpeg 165B9DB8-C82F-4CE5-88F4-99D4B67110E1.jpeg B0522E39-DF60-4264-817E-CE5A53CE9931.jpeg

FunWithStuff

Cats are very collectible. Too collectible .:). good used parts are now through the roof on pricing.
I was collecting and restoring cats before there was even an internet. I sold off all my original and restored cats when I moved for probably a tenth of what they’re worth now. I saved some frames and parts and some engines and stuff, and brought them with me.
these days, I just use up the frames and parts I have to make restomods. Cat purists will want to look away, but I won’t pay the inflated prices and I have just as much fun putting these together. A couple here.

View attachment 282420 View attachment 282421 View attachment 282422
Those are actually really cool! I like Cats, but I definitely have nothing against improvising and having fun! Do you know what two models those originally were?

toomanytoys

I wasn't alive in the 60s and 70s when minibikes were super popular. In the 80s dad got me started on minibikes. I missed the hey day!

But for me, cats, Rupps, Heald and heath kit. Those are my brands!

Sadly restoring a bike...well it's a money pit..I have more money in all my restored bikes than I'd ever get back! Although with prices of the black widows these days I might make enough to break even if I sold it and everything else.

If you want to build an ice racer or fun beat on bike these new coleman bikes are pretty darn stout. Hop up parts for clones are much easier to get than old flat head parts. But if you want to build an old bike into something you'll use go for it! I was more into must save every old bike but these days I'm just happy to see them being ridden!

red baron

View attachment 282420 View attachment 282421 View attachment 282422
I wasn't alive in the 60s and 70s when minibikes were super popular. In the 80s dad got me started on minibikes. I missed the hey day!

But for me, cats, Rupps, Heald and heath kit. Those are my brands!

Sadly restoring a bike...well it's a money pit..I have more money in all my restored bikes than I'd ever get back! Although with prices of the black widows these days I might make enough to break even if I sold it and everything else.

If you want to build an ice racer or fun beat on bike these new coleman bikes are pretty darn stout. Hop up parts for clones are much easier to get than old flat head parts. But if you want to build an old bike into something you'll use go for it! I was more into must save every old bike but these days I'm just happy to see them being ridden!
All hobbies have gotten out of control! I've drifted from one hobby to another,driven out by high cost each time. slot cars, woodworking, vintage snowmobiles, dirt bikes. I like old stuff and that's just way it is but I'm not a purist. Having to have an original part is nice but I'll make due with something else as long as it's functional and still looks good. I don't care if it has a Briggs in place of a Tecumseh, it seem silly to fret over such things. I got a Cat because that's what I found cheap and I have a 5hp Briggs because that's what my buddy is running in his and I want to be equally matched. I could easily stomp him with a modified predator but what fun is that? Hobbies are supposed to be fun

toomanytoys

All hobbies have gotten out of control! I've drifted from one hobby to another,driven out by high cost each time. slot cars, woodworking, vintage snowmobiles, dirt bikes. I like old stuff and that's just way it is but I'm not a purist. Having to have an original part is nice but I'll make due with something else as long as it's functional and still looks good. I don't care if it has a Briggs in place of a Tecumseh, it seem silly to fret over such things. I got a Cat because that's what I found cheap and I have a 5hp Briggs because that's what my buddy is running in his and I want to be equally matched. I could easily stomp him with a modified predator but what fun is that? Hobbies are supposed to be fun
All my restored bikes are at least 95% correct. The last 5% being reproduction parts. I'm out of that game. I sold off my last project bike because I wasn't pay 500 dollars for a gas tank. I won't restore anymore bikes. I'm content with what I have.

None of my hobbies are cheap... guns, mini bikes, motorcycles, cars, gaming computers...its all expensive.

Minibikes used to be cheap. My CT90 is a perfect example. Bought mine 15 years ago for under 500 bucks. Minty bike (300 miles) with a title. That same bike today would be 3500 to 5000 on ebay.

red baron

oops I hit post before I was done. Jeep2003 does it right, that guy is so clever and resourceful. He knows how to have fun on the cheap and how cool are the things he builds!
All my restored bikes are at least 95% correct. The last 5% being reproduction parts. I'm out of that game. I sold off my last project bike because I wasn't pay 500 dollars for a gas tank. I won't restore anymore bikes. I'm content with what I have.

None of my hobbies are cheap... guns, mini bikes, motorcycles, cars, gaming computers...its all expensive.

Minibikes used to be cheap. My CT90 is a perfect example. Bought mine 15 years ago for under 500 bucks. Minty bike (300 miles) with a title. That same bike today would be 3500 to 5000 on ebay.
I agree with you but You can still have fun with this hobby. Take Jeep2003 for example he builds such cool things with whats laying around, how cool are his projects!

joshua. c.

the cat Endura is the prettiest and coolest cat mini bike in my opinion. but cats are hard to get reasonably priced parts for. I've been searching for a set of fork lowers tor an endura frame I have but whenever they show up on ebay they either start to high to begin with and don't sell or get bided far beyond any reasonable price.