My $100 craigslist find!

cxbra

Back in the minibike scene! I sold my Bonanza to Guardrail Dave a year ago and havent had a mini since. I found a steal! A Baja Hawg-Ty on craigslist for $120 but it didnt run (but it turned over with good compression) so I picked it up for a bill! She wouldnt start so I reluctantly looked up how to clean out a float carb (used to diaphragm carbs on flatties) and got her starting nicely.

Then my next problem, the engine must have been off of a snowblower or something because it had linkage to run ONLY wide open throttle with the governor :shrug:. I got rid of that (no more governor linkage either, its still in the engine at this moment so im keeping rpms very low) and made my own linkage bar out of clothes hanger to attatch to the throttle setup that was there but not working. I was SUPER proud of making that linkage bar, I drank more than a few that night :thumbsup:. I added a spring from lowes for the return and its done, I just need a new twist grip and cable.

Its 100% stock with a 5.5hp clone. It runs super lean and the jet is seized in the carb :hammer: so im going to buy a 6.5 clone carb and some jets and get to tuning :scooter:. Once I pull the governor from the engine im going to ride it as is for a while.. then buy a modded 6.5 w/ billet rod, 18 lb valvesprings, honda f/w, intake and header pre-built from NR racing and call it a day! Im excited on getting a running bike for $100 and the front suspension, sprung seat and big ass tires are buttery smooth!:scooter:

you sure thats a clone?

kinda looks like a real honda, but so do the clones. look under the gas tank to find out if its a gx160.

you could try soaking the whole carb in some kind of solvent maybe.

go to a lawnmower shop and buy the picks and small pointed tools i bet you can get the carb free and flowing..

the problem is the gas now, its horrible if you leave it inside the carb for too long it smells NASTY and turns green and slimey.

i would mess around with the carb. then if it fails buy a bigger carb somewhere. classifieds on here i guess.

BTW most on here would advise against running a stock flywheel with the governor removed. Ive never seen one explode in person and I dont want to find out. Billet is the way to go.

cxbra

you sure thats a clone?

kinda looks like a real honda, but so do the clones. look under the gas tank to find out if its a gx160.

you could try soaking the whole carb in some kind of solvent maybe.

go to a lawnmower shop and buy the picks and small pointed tools i bet you can get the carb free and flowing..

the problem is the gas now, its horrible if you leave it inside the carb for too long it smells NASTY and turns green and slimey.

i would mess around with the carb. then if it fails buy a bigger carb somewhere. classifieds on here i guess.

BTW most on here would advise against running a stock flywheel with the governor removed. Ive never seen one explode in person and I dont want to find out. Billet is the way to go.
Nope its a clone, it has "jiandong jf168" on the pullstarter. Oh and the carb issue is fully solved and yes I should have a billet flywheel, BUT this motor is not going to be revved hard at all. I do need to get the governor gear out of the engine though.. Im waiting on a new 6.5hp clone to put the flywheel on :thumbsup: