my boys wanted a big wheel

I startwd a project with my son logan its an older briggs flat top 8 hp from an old transfer pump and we got the idea to build a one off trike to go along with my ratrod in the parade this year so I got an old fourwheeler it had a 100 CC engine I removed the head and jug then cut off the piston but left the rod to help with balance now the plan was to put the beefy briggs infront of the yamaha and use the yamaha for tranny purposes only and I would like to connect them together using chain and sprockets but what ratio should I set it at the yamaha im sure had great high low tourqe being a four stroke but I hear the 8 hp briggs isnt a high rev engine what should I do

bruces

You will need to figure out the operating rpm range of the original yamaha ,then compare it to your new engine and adjust your gearing accordingly .I do not want to spoil your party ,it's awesome you are even trying something ,but I can't see this working in the long run .The missing cylinder will allow all kinds of crud into the crankcase which will quickly ruin the bearings on the crank as they are completely open ,and no idea how you could reliably lube the crank bearings anyway .Like I noted earlier ,I cannot see this approach working in the long run .

I covered the hole with a piece of plate I cut out I was originally gonna have the oil pump from the yamaha oil the briggs but I guess it should oil the crank bearing on the yamaha wow I didnt even think of that but makes damn good since

P.s. its tottally gonna work

Last edited: