My governed 4400rpm Predator 212cc

cxbra

Hey guys. I was pleased to find out that my engine is revving to 4400rpm bone stock :thumbsup:. I have the new style Predator 212 with governor connected, everything else is bone stock. The only thing ive done to this engine is add oil, gas and I backed out the throttle screw a bit. I tested my speed using GPS and got 26.5mph on my Hawg-ty with 10:1 ratio gearing (Im going to switch to a 7:1 ratio soon) through the jackshaft and 20" tires. That equated to 4400rpm, I would only be going 21mph if it were at 3600rpm.

The engine is revving this high and the throttle limiter screw is still in.. I get kind of worried knowing its revving that high with the governor in there but should I have anything to worry about? I want to keep the governor in there for a while, just wondering if anybody has had a bad experience with their Predator 212cc with the throttle screw backed out a bit?:shrug:....:scooter::thumbsup:

Gear that lower! I have a 4:1 ratio on a stock Predator motor with 12" tires and my minibike is doing close to 50! I also don't have to worry about the motor revving too high because it never reaches full RPM. The torque does all the work.

Gear that lower! I have a 4:1 ratio on a stock Predator motor with 12" tires and my minibike is doing close to 50! I also don't have to worry about the motor revving too high because it never reaches full RPM. The torque does all the work.
The lower the numbers are numerically the higher the gear ratio for example 4:1 is higher than 6:1. And the higher the gear ratio the less torque you will have.
I have a cat 300x with 12 in tires and 4.8:1 ratio on a predator 212 because i need torque to climb hills on some trails. I have a hawg ty as well also with a predator 212 and had a 16in tire in the back with a 6:1 ratio and that was a good mix of torque and topend. then i switched the rear tire with a stock 18 in tire and the bike felt weak with the 6:1 ratio. I think a 8:1 would be good with the bigger tires.

GustoGuy

Mine DB30 goes about 35mph with the Max torque 12T clutch. For increasing speed and maintaing aceleration I would go with a TAV2 since it will act like a CVT and gives good acceration as well as top speed. I may get a GTC and put it in next year. I am going to hog out the existing air cleaners carb throat restriction and hog out the main jet a little larger with the torch tip cleaner. I will get an AR390x spark plug too since it reduces the cylinder head area by 200 and results in slightly higher compression. May give up to 3/4th a horsepower more power

The lower the numbers are numerically the higher the gear ratio for example 4:1 is higher than 6:1. And the higher the gear ratio the less torque you will have.
I have a cat 300x with 12 in tires and 4.8:1 ratio on a predator 212 because i need torque to climb hills on some trails. I have a hawg ty as well also with a predator 212 and had a 16in tire in the back with a 6:1 ratio and that was a good mix of torque and topend. then i switched the rear tire with a stock 18 in tire and the bike felt weak with the 6:1 ratio. I think a 8:1 would be good with the bigger tires.
My Stellar does very well with 12" tires and a 4:1 gearing ratio. It still accelerates just as fast off road as it does on street and it handles hills like they're not even there. I have 12t from the clutch to a 12t sprocket on the jackshaft so both the jackshaft and the engine are rotating at the same speed. The sprocket on the jackshaft that drives the chain for the wheel is 18t and the sprocket on the wheel is 72t. The engine never reaches full RPM but it certainly pulls hard! I may swap the 18t sprocket out for a 16t one, just to see how that performs. I know I have one lying around somewhere.

I love jackshafts for this reason. :thumbsup:

cxbra

Yeah, the stock 10:1 ratio on this bike is really pretty ridiculous! Im going to re-gear it with a 6:1 or 6.5:1 ratio to get over 40mph (the bike is on 18 or 19 inch tires :eek:hmy:). I am loving the ratio for wheelies off curbs and stuff :laugh: but I need a cruise speed of like 25mph and a top speed of no more than 45mph. The Bonanza that I used to own (my profile pic) was running 50mph on 14" tires and a 5:1 ratio, it was WAYY too fast im glad I didnt get hurt on that thing.

cxbra

P.s, I didnt sell be Bonanza because it was too fast.. too many run in's with the cops so I took a break for a while haha.