Need advice with the rear axle

I hope the picture I tried to attach shows up, but I'm having trouble with my rear axles on this mini bike I just got thru a trade on craigslist, I replaced the tub in the back tire and replace the to bearings in the wheel and now the bolts keep coming a little loose and I don't want to really crank down on them and break the bearing, any advice or questions?

Attachments

I like to fabricate a spacer that fits inside the hub so when you tighten the axle bolt, the pressure is carried by the spacer. Spacers are available through OldMiniBikes. You can cut one down to size, grind it down or chuck it into a lathe for length.

Doc

Last edited:
Yup use spacers :thumbsup: Looks like you are using threaded rod as an axel, I would get a real axel and nylock nuts :thumbsup: Do not over tighten the nuts it will wear out the bearings :thumbsup:

yes that axle is on the verge of dangerous... i would not trust a threaded rod like that. Get yourself a real axle bolt. and that tire looks like a wheelbarrow tire... nothing wrong with that but i wouldnt run one of those on the rear of a mini unless you never were going to touch anything but dry pavement or go very fast IMO

I made a spacer out of a pipe that fit perfectly in the wheel but but was still having issues, I'm more than happy to get a new axle but OldMiniBikes doesn't have 1/2 inch axles like I need, if I got the 3/4 axle I'd need new bearing and have to drill the holes on each side bigger and immnot sure how much room for modification there is I'll have to check it out

45t

I made a spacer out of a pipe that fit perfectly in the wheel but but was still having issues, I'm more than happy to get a new axle but OldMiniBikes doesn't have 1/2 inch axles like I need, if I got the 3/4 axle I'd need new bearing and have to drill the holes on each side bigger and immnot sure how much room for modification there is I'll have to check it out
You could pick up a bolt and lock nut at Ace Hardware to use as a axle. I've used them before. I think they have them up to 10" long.

Last edited:
You could pick up a bolt and lock nut at Ace Hardware to use as a axle. I've used them before. I think they have them up to 10" long.
Would I just have to stack nuts or washers on the other side of the tire then so it stays centered and tight

Biffmini

I got a 1/2" axle bolt from OldMiniBikes... look up bolts or hardware can't remember for sure but I found them. Are you sure a 5/8" axle wont work for you?

I went and bought a 9 inch long 1/2 inch bolt from lowes, and bought some bigger nuts as spacers and 1/2 nuts to tighten everything down and threw a lock but of the end, road it around alot and seems like everything is working fine now, I appreciate the help you guys

My local hardware store has spacers..if was me..and you are unsure what diameter bolt you need, take wheel with you along with the length written down you need..the spacers you can cut down..the reason I say take wheel with you is you can try the bolt for fit before you leave the store..OK good nervermind : ]

Last edited: