Need help IDing

Ok, so the background story is this: My grandpa opened up the automotive department for Pennys and so they started selling minibikes. In order to have the best my grandpa would put on monthly shows for which dealers from all over the country would come and show what they had and Pennys could choose from what the saw. In 1971 a man from New York came and had 3 of his concepts for the show, one of which was the bike shown. When he left, he left the bike and told my grandpa to do whatever he wanted with it.

Now, 30some years later i have the bike. It's all original, even the leather seat. It has a 4 hp tecumseh engine and a comet torque converter. it was running up until about 2 months ago when the throttle grip broke from deterioration. I bought a new grip and sleeve and installed it and now it wont start. I bought a carb rebuild kit and that is being shipped over, and thats where I'm at today.

Any info would be appreciated. I would love to hear ideas on what it is. Thanks.

I just bought one of those,minus the engine and gas tank. I'm going to pick it up Sunday. From what I've seen and been told, it must be a Bird. The brace below the steering head is like the Bird minicycles and the Manco Thunderbird. The front frame section of the Manco Thunderbird and the Bird ones are very similar, so it's really hard to tell for sure.

Last edited: