Need help restoring vintage 4hp tecumseh engine .

p35

HI. guys i'm going to pickup a vintage tecumseh 4hp engine block lots of compression for 30 bucks. hs40 model 55200h serial # 1224b , i need a carburtor , muffler ,gas tank with bracket. I want to put this engine on a Ruttman spyder i'm restoring so i would like to find period correct parts . I don't known where to start how do i find the parts # are they hard to find , would it be cheaper waiting for a complete engine to show up ,i'm new to mini bikes thank you.

buckeye

Parts wanted section might help.
That's a tough question wheather to buy a complete one or not. You can keep a eye out for one. It't gonna cost ya a few dimes to put one back together. Do some price checking on ebay. See what your parts are gonna cost ya and compare that to what a comple engine will cost.

According to Partstree.com the carb is p/n 631918; the muffler is p/n 33671a; the gas tank is p/n 35584 and the bracket is p/n 36247. The carb-muffler-gas tank are available on Ebay. You will have to track down the bracket. You can double check what I found. Good Luck

Last edited:

p35

Cheezy1 . i found the orig muffler part # 33671a for 33 bucks on e-bay . But by period correct do you mean a curve pipe spark arrestor.

jrzmac

theres a member "metalman" who was making those "S" type taylor mufflers a while ago. don't know if he still is but you can give him a try? he makes them with a 1/2" adapter on the end so you can screw a threaded muffler on the end.

if you can find the right taylor muffler,

it'll look a lot like the original.

if not, you could get one of those generic "hot dog" style mufflers you can get just about anywhere. I found mine at Ace Hardware for like $3.00!

jrzmac

HI. guys i'm going to pickup a vintage tecumseh 4hp engine block lots of compression for 30 bucks. hs40 model 55200h serial # 1224b , i need a carburtor , muffler ,gas tank with bracket.
heres the tank you need- Outdoor Distributors - Lawn Mower Parts

and the bracket : Outdoor Distributors - Lawn Mower Parts

the original carb isn't gonna be cheap, around $80.00. OEM Tecumseh Carburetor 631918

a lot of people, including myself have been having really good results with these afterrmarket Oregon carbs. they looks exactly the same, and cost around $40.00. here's the link, it's up to you!!!! Carburetor Tecumseh 632615 632208 632589 Carb H30 H35 H50 | eBay

markus

P35 if Brian shows up at the billetproof drags in lakeland this, year He may have some more of these made up:

I sent you his info via PM's awhile back.

I can spare one of my OG tecumseh muffs too which was correct for alot of minibikes:

Last edited: