Need help with carb flooding out.

Have a Tecumsah 5hp and the carb kept flooding out with gas pouring out of the carb. So I rebuilt it and still had the same problem so I lowered the float level and added a fuel filter and still does it. Any ideas? Maybe a hole in the brass float? If someone has a carb, I'd be interested in it.

. So I rebuilt it and still had the same problem so I lowered the float level .........[/QUOTE said:
Lowering the float level would cause more gas to go into the bowl and it would overflow more. If im understanding you correctly.

shake the float and see if it has gas in it if it does it has a hole in it and make sure it has smooth operation with the inlet valve might be sticking pay close attention to where the inlet valve hooks to the float

Yeah, I have had to buy a few Float bowls for my 6hp Troy-Built Roto-Tiller.

The Float Bowl must be a level distance all the way around from the mounting surface.
Also, the inlet needle "rubber seal" doesn't last long. That's why I always liked the float bowls with the drains on them. Drying out the Carburetor when not using it for a long time saves the rubber.

One time I tried to buy an updated Plastic Float bowl and they wouldn't let me buy one because they would have to order it. Didn't make sense then, but now that they are out of business, it does now.:thefinger:

Last edited:
Lowering the float level would allow less fuel in the bowl. Lowering the level of the tab that the needle rests on would allow more fuel. To lower the float level, the tab has to be raised, thus seating the needle when the float is at a lower level.