Need Help with clutch

I have a briggs 250cc 1150 series that came off a tiller on my bike. It was the weird motor in between the 206cc with the 3/4 shaft and the 305cc with the 1 inch and its rated at 11.5 ft lbs stock and also has a 3/4 inch shaft , since ive had it ive opened it up by adding a mikuni carb and a straight pipe to it which helped a lot ( i'm thinking 9 or 10 hp and 12 or 13ft lbs. I am running a gear ratio of 12/40 on my bike with a 5 inch wide 12" slick on the back. I know my engine should be capable of reaching at least 3/4s of the top speed of this gearing, but i think my clutch won't let me. I can't get past 34 mph and i can feel power in the engine, but it won't transfer to the rear wheels after that. ITs not even topping out in RPMs. Should I buy a racing clutch? I am using one of the cheap $35 max torque clutches, but i know they are rated only from 4-7 hp? Help?

Everyone will say a dis clutch but i'am going to recommend the HILLARD clutches . The FLAME and BLAZE models . I run them both on bikes and they work awesome .:thumbsup:

With a 3-1 ratio I wonder if your not glazing the clutch on pull away and then it's slipping at higher rpm.

Only problem with that theory is you should hear the engine rev higher without an increase in speed.

Start small. Strip the clutch. Roughen up lubricate and then test.

That's kinda what's going on, but it doesn't rev higher it starts pretty strong but when I get up to speed and the clutch fully engages it stops at maybe 2800-3300 rpm and stays there. I was thinking of the Hillard clutches, but I wanted to See first whether it was an engine problem or clutch problem. Because my engine will hit the Rev limiter ~5000 rpm. And when you say start small, then strip the clutch, what do you mean?

Search on the forum for clutch service. You can strip the clutch and Bell and the shoes. The clan up. Lube up and rough up the inside of the bell.

A free revving engine will easy hit 5000 rpm, but under load might only get 4000rpm