need help with super bronc build

hey Guys..

Got a super that I am building, and of course the TC was gone and the brakes were FUBAR ...the front ones anyway...fixable but a mess.

Anyway, I need pics and measurements or at least a clue on what to fabricate on this clutch/ jack shaft/ brake assembly.

I have seen some pics on the net...by the same guy that photographs Bigfoot.

Gees....:shrug:

Also, I figure that once every six months or so some guy like me wanders in here and asks the same questions........so

I am currently working on frame number 534 does anyone have any info on the DOB ?

call ron kimball for heald super bronc parts.
1-800-535-9529. he also has a diagram of the assemby of the superbronc.. with measurements of all the hardware for 6 bucks. not sure about 534 but i'm willing to bet ron knows.

Thanks

All roads lead to Ron Kimball....

Well Ron needs to set up a southern distribution point....

Thanks Again..I just have a tenancy to fabricate rather than buy..but time is not free so I just may see what ole Ron has to have for one of these dealys.

I was reading some old threads from 2008 and a guy was talking about rigging up a rear disk brake and not depending on a Chinese chain for brakes.

Did anyone ever post a build like that ? to your knowledge?

Last edited:
well if you fabricate something make 2 of them so i can buy one off you. i'm puttin a bronc together myself and i don't have a tranny/drum brake assembly yet either.

I am now looking into the possibility of taking the rear axial and , most likely at a machine shop'...welding another flange similar to the one that holds the sprocket.

If the mock up looks good I believe that I can mount a brake disk to the new flange and mount a floating caliper on the starboard side of the frame.

Does anyone know of this being done on a super?
I have seen some cool trick brake set ups on some minis but never on a super.

Not afraid to try , just wondering.

PS the fab on the transmission looks strait forward, though I would probably just fab the frame and then have it cross drilled by a machinist.

Just don't like the thought of heading down a hill with my 7 yr old, and not being able to set the pace..:eek:

If I do decide to go with the conventional set up, I may put some sort of trailer brake on my farm cart.........:eek:ut:.

If you still need any pics of the original Bronc TC, i can go out and take some for ya. I Don't have my rear drum brake on it at the moment, but everything else is there.

Thanks Debris.. for the pic of that guy's solution..

if I can rig the disk brake on the rear axial, then the trans/block becomes simple....ish

With the holes in the frame set, and the holes on the motor set..HM8 Tech.....there is not a lot of play in where the driven pulley lines up. So I guess where I place the sprocket on the jack shaft is the only play I have?

Austin, I would appreciate any photos you would have of the conventional port side chain drive....

BTW. that notch in the deck of the frame on the starboard side..Was that for a different model of Bronc? Was it made to clear the port side drive models ...? and what were those models called ....

Thanks all you guys ...This board makes a project like this a lot less worrisome.:thumbsup:

That notch in the frame on the right side was for the exhaust output on certain models that had a canister muffler that bolted to the rear fender and outputted through a flexible tube that went through that notch.

I'll take the bronc out and snap a few pics for you if i remember.

pressing onward

O K here is the update.

The bike that I bought online has a 22" rear tire, so I have had to cut the rear fender support out and re-weld it .75" up frame to get clearance for the tire.

Got the T/C from northern for the 1" shaft Tec that I have.

The rear sprocket that the guy packaged with the bike is not #41, but the drive sprocket off the driven pulley is a #41...which one should I change?

If I get a new rear sprocket in #41, how many teeth ?

I am working with a local machine shop to work out a rear brake solution that will brake at the rear axial, and not through the chain.....we will see how that works out.

My axial measures 1.64" and if I can have a cuff with a flange on it, then the cuff/flange/disk assembly can be attached to the right side,after the wheel and axial are made up.

Then the only challenge, that I can see from here" is to accommodate the alignment of the caliper and the disk as the rear axial is adjusted fore and aft for chain tension. So long as those adjustments are parallel, it shouldn't be too tough.

Thought warnings etc. all welcome

Thanks

FP out

toomanytoys

I run a 9 front 60 rear on mine. Works out to around 44mph flat out.

And I can get a rolling start and pull it up into a wheelie no problem.

I want to try the 12 tooth I have in my drawer to see how fast she will go then....

When you finish up be sure to post some pictures.

thanks Too....

I will post pics when I replace my stoopid camera...grrrrrrr

The sprocket info will be helpful. It seemed silly to replace the new driven sprocket if didn't have to.

I am more interested in hill pulling than top end, so I assume that the size you gave me would be a minimum.

The transmission turned out be be tougher to find or fab than I thought, and also I was never too crazy about braking through the chain.

I feel that if I work out something cool maybe other bronc owners might want one....we shall see..

Thx again

toomanytoys

With the 9 tooth I've climbed some stupid steep hills. I treat this bike more like I would an ATV on hills and trails. The one hill I take it up is on the side of an old coal slag pile. You can't walk up it without leaning forward and using your arms to help pull. I get a short run for it, 25 feet or so, put my feet on the rear axle nuts, lay all the way forward, and she flies up it no problem. Gaining speed the whole way, if I have good traction I have to let off at the the top to keep from jumping over the top, that's painful with the tiny bit of suspension a super bronc offers.

The idea of throwing the 12 tooth on there is more of an experiment than anything. The HM80 at full RPM will still pull even after I exceed the governor a bit, A bit of a cheater spring that gives about 200-300 more rpm.

When I got my VT8 it had the original TAV, Belt still stamped heald corp and well the sprocket was a mess, someone tried to weld teeth on it, but it was a 9 tooth. I am assuming this is the factory gearing.

Last edited:
You guys are making my juices flow, with that power & speed stuff. I'm building up a Super bronc from parts & pieces, as well. Not stock, but strong enuff for my large frame. Here's what I'm running: super bronc frame; tree and front wheel/tire from a Honda three wheeler; bronc fender & seat; 8 HP Briggs/ 1in. shaft (from Jeep4me); also a 22in. back tire; new 3/4 in. jackshaft with gearing advice I got from Yellowhand: (12t HD clutch to 18t / 13t to 60t sprocket); all with 40/41 chain. I, too, need some brakes. I was thinking about banding the clutch.
What do you guys think?

toomanytoys

That sounds interesting. I'd like to see some pictures of the front end.

I have a frame, but no front forks, I'd like to do something different.

Big Jim

I have a Transmission, it will need a driven $65 from BMI. The tranny has new bearings the brake parts are good the sprocket is good.

well the project marches on...very slowly..

here are some pics of the progress.

still no brakes on the rear but I will solve that problem after I get the thing running.

toomanytoys

by that mounting plate from bigjim. I keep wanting to buy it so I have 2 spares for future super broncs. I really dislike running a long jack shaft on a super bronc.

i plan too..
if he doesn't get mad at me making him wait...

I have plans to build two more, these things are like a disease.

This one however I think that I will weld a key on to the rear axle so a disk can be made up after the wheel and sprocket are made up....

Still I am temped to work out that caliper on the sprocket design.

I will not be running a right side drive.