need motor help?

I have a 5 HP briggs serial number 130232-1743-01-83060307 it says 206 cc on the shroud. I am wondering how old it is and I'm having problems getting spark. There is a little wire not attached to anything that is coming from where the magnito is. Any help would be appreciated really would like to get this thing going.

Its a 1983 and that wire is the kill wire, make sure it isn't touching on anything. They sometimes rub on the shroud edge and ground out your ignition.

you need more speed then that to get it to spark . take and turn the flywheel till the magnets are under the coil and turn it back and forth . you just have to have the magnet clear the coil and check for spark . given its a 83 the wire you see may be for the points that are under the flywheel . that need to be hooked up for it to work at all , if it is not the pointless coil . maybe post up a pic of the coil if ya can

In the first picture you can see the wire that I'm talking about, its a little black wire about 12" long.
You have a points coil with the Solid State conversion kit on it.
Most of the time it's the conversion trigger that burns out and fails, Or the wire slipped out of the trigger and needs to be hooked up, but that is kinda tricky.

new Briggs Stratton gas engine lawn mower motor part 394970 magnetron ignition | eBay

A new coil is part number 397358 and is usually a better deal.

Sometimes no spark or a weak spark is due to bad ground of the coil. Clean the area on the coil where it mounts to the posts. Clean the posts and the bolts to insure a good ground. I would try this before buying a new coil.

Ok before I went and pulled the flywheel off to clean the points I pulled the head off to look at the cylinder and every thing is smooth and the valves work great, but there is a lot of carbon on top of the cylinder and the valves. Is this normal and should I clean it off and if so how do I clean it off. Thank you and sorry for all the questions but I'm new to this small engine stuff but I love tinkering with it so far.

buckeye

Yeah, just clean it off. I use a wire brush and just get it clean as I can. Make sure none of the crap gets in the cylinder.
You are almost there!