Need pull start cover for an 8hp Briggs! It is missing...are they all the same?

Hello. Like the title says...

I recently purchased an 8hp Manco Dingo go-cart and the entire pull start cover is missing. Here is a link to a pic of a Manco Dingo with the same 8hp Briggs engine I have. It is the first pic in the thread:

The Manco Dingo transformed into suspended Kart

Does anyone know if I can use the pull start cover from another 8hp Briggs that is similar to the one I need?

There are some on ebay and the only noticable difference I see is the angle of the exit of the pull start rope coming out of the cover. I really don't want to just buy one and hope it works.

If anyone has any info about this, it will be greatly appreciated if you share it!

If someone has a spare pull start cover they are willing to sell, I am willing to buy it for a reasonable price only if it is confirmed that it will work with my engine. I have Paypal. I would have posted this is in the for sale/wanted classifieds but I didn't see a section for that in the forum homepage.

Thanks is advance!

Sorry MODS, I don't know how I missed the classified section. I will post a WANTED ad when I get more info about the cover I need.

The fan shroud/recoil housing for briggs 6hp, 7hp and 8hp are all interchangeable. The embossed 6hp is the most stylish with the raised "BS". The shroud with cast aluminum recoil spring housing and metal rope spool is the most durable and can be rebuilt many times.

Thanks Richard! That was the exact info I was looking for.

I found some shroud covers/recoil housings from 6, 7, and 8hp Briggs engines on ebay but I still have some concerns.

The angle of the rope exit is going in the wrong direction from what I need on most of the covers that I have found. There are other holes in the covers around the recoil opening that make me think the recoil housing could be rotated to the angle I need but it appears that some of the recoil housings are either riveted or spot welded to the cover or all one peice so that wouldn't work. I can't really determine what is going on from the pics. I really don't want to have to do any drilling or cutting but I can if that is my only option. But, some of the covers also have bolts holding the recoil housing to the cover. So, I'm not sure sure what my options are and could use some more info or advice on the subject.

I found a 7hp cover with the embossed BS but the seller wants $42 shipped. Yikes!

I am going to post an ad in the wanted section and hopfully somebody can help me out. I am not trying to spend more than $30 shipped. I can re-finish the cover if it looks bad but it has to be functional or rebuildable.

Richard, do you have any covers I that I could purchase from you? Thanks again.

buckeye

Man, there were two at the scrapyard. I got the carbs and air cleaner and tank for another member. 2 weeks too late.

I never even thought about going to the scrapyard. Last time I was there they had some junk mowers and equipment off to the side. I will have to go there and check out what they have sometime soon. I would rather just pay someone to ship me what I need instead of taking a trip to the scrapyard because there is no guarantee they will have what I am looking for.

Hopefully somebody will chime in and will tell me they have what I'm looking for. I am going to post a wanted ad now.

The "angle of the rope exit" can easily be changed on the shrouds with the cast aluminium recoil spring housing. They are bolted on from the inside of the shroud. The stamped steel spring housings are spot welded to the shroud. These are very common so be patient with your search.

Thanks again Richard for the great info! I will look for a cover with a cast aluminum recoil.

I wish ebay sellers would take more pictures of what they are selling. Most of the covers on ebay only have one picture showing the outside of the cover.

How am I susposed to know if the recoil is cast aluminum or plastic from the outside of the cover?

I have come to the conclusion that most ebay sellers are stupid and don't have a clue about selling. Descriptions about important details of their items and pictures of those details are just absolutely essential in helping their potential buyers make informed and confident purchases. They are just hurting their sales and frustrating people that need something.