need quick answer on crank side play

JNL

Just finished putting gx200 together. I am concerned about the crank shaft side play. New rod and crank. The side play is zero. When the bolts are finger tight there is some side play but once torque I don’t feel any. It doesn't seem to be binding when torque. Is this OK. Should I run 2 side cover gaskets? Any feedback would be great.

Thanks

Last edited:
I actually have the same problem and was worried about 2 gaskets but don't want to find out the hard way!...but I hope it is that easy and no grinding required :thumbsup:

JNL

Found some gasket material in the garage and made a second gasket. With it installed I now have .006 end play on the dial indicator. I am going to try it. I think it should be ok.

Watch your end play close.

Idealy you want just a tiny bit more than zero.....
The case will expland when warm and make some end play

I run two gaskets in many cases but I am mixing parts up from a lot of different clones. Cover from there crank from here....

yeh, if anyone has some specifications on a standard GX motor I guess we can assume that would be suitable for a clone motor. I just put my HF Preditor motor together with ARC flywheel and conn rod and when checked it has 0.020" as read on the dial indicator. This seems a little excessive to me.
greg

I would like to see a bit less than .020, but its better than none at all.

Your not building race engines here so a little excess is fine.

If it realy bothers you get the case cover machined to shrink it up.

This is actualy good in some respects if you do have it machined the gasket will seal up better and there is less chance of the case cover coming loose.