New 6.5 HP predator install. Choke problem

I just installed a new 6.5 HP predator on an old style dirt bug. Started first pull.

When I move the choke off and to the run position it goes to full throttle and wants to take off. I rode it down the street but it goes top speed only.

Only way to slow the RPMs is back to choke. When I move the throttle with the choke on...no response.

What am I missing? Suggestions please!

That steel lever is as far right (on the picture) as it will go. Its not in the run position. I loosened that nut to get it to spring back like it should before I bolted it on the frame..

Like Rapirob said, its in wide open in the picture. Need to make sure that the grip and cable are in the idle position when you hook it up as well as the throttle arm. The nut that holds the throttle arm on is tight from the factory, make sure you loosen it.

Ok. After the second person said that the throttle lever looked open (thank you both!!) I disconnected the throttle wire completely and started it. Turned off the choke and it ran at high RPMs but did not take off!!! I reconnected the cable and rode it down the street a few times. (my 10 yr old boy ran out in his socks jumping up and down with his helmet in his hand asking if its running...and its dark out!!!)

It still has a very high idle which I will adjust tomorrow. But I have to slow this thing down before he rides it...it hauls a$$ for this little thing..and hydraulic brakes are right behind.

The throttle lever was maybe a 1/4" open but it made the difference. The wire was connected before I mounted it on the frame and there must've been some tension on the lever which I obviously didn't know was an issue.

Thanks to everyone and I will update after I tweak everything (try to slow it down) tomorrow.

Another problem solved with the members of OldMiniBikes.

There is a throttle limit screw, if you didn't remove it, you can use to set how far the throttle opens up. I made sure my son knows the 6.5 is extremely powerful. He's rode it twice but won't even try to open it up.

UPDATE.

The problem actually turned out to be the rod that goes from the carburetor to the governor was not allowing the carburetor to fully return to the idle position. Its the one that comes with the spring wrapped around it. (Its inside the spring)

That rod goes into a hole on the governor and I moved it to hole right next to it. The hole was a little farther or closer, I forget which way moved it but there is only one hole close to the original hole located at the end of the governor lever. There are several holes toward the middle of the governor lever where a spring is connected to the governor on one end and the throttle linkage on the other end. Not those holes.

After looking at the throttle linkage and governor for awhile I realized that was the problem. I moved it to allow the carburetor (the black lever on carb that the rod is connected to) to return to idle and it purrs at a nice idle without trying to take off.

Hope this makes sense. I looked all over the internet and could not find this problem fixed or explained. The only thing I saw was a suggestion to turn down the idle screw. Which might work but this rod was not allowing the black lever on the carb to close or return to rest on the idle screw.

Hope this helps someone in the future.

Glad ou figured it out, did you get the motor brand new from HF or was it used prior? I'm wondering if I need to start checking that linkage on new motors out of the box.

TO the OP.
Its kinda off topic but I wanted to ask you, after installing the new black 6.5 Predator, were you able to reuse the stock clutch and chain gaurds? Did they still fit in the original mounting spots?

sounds like something is making the throttle vane open wide. stuck spring, stuck throttle vane, stuck something. if all parts move freely and return to closed idle position this shoudnt happen.
if the air/fuel mix screws are turned too far in this can happen but I doubt that's whats causing your issue

The long steel lever is in the run position. Loosen the friction nut and let the spring return the throttle to the idle position.
sounds like something is making the throttle vane open wide. stuck spring, stuck throttle vane, stuck something. if all parts move freely and return to closed idle position this shoudnt happen.
if the air/fuel mix screws are turned too far in this can happen but I doubt that's whats causing your issue
I'm going to take a WAG and say he fixed the problem......just based on a hunch. Ok I also considered the fact that this is a 2 year old thread.