New member, in need of help.

This is my first post, so, "Hello Everyone!"

"LONG VERSION" (for short version, scroll down)

I picked up a junker Baja Heat a few weeks ago for $50. It didn't run, but was fairly complete. I then bought a Predator 212cc engine to drop in it, since the factory engine needed some work and I wanted to ride!
I was still in need of a few minor parts and during my search, I ran into a Baja MB200. The motor ran great, but it wouldn't move and needed a rear tire. I snagged it for $100. When I got it home, I decided it was the better of the two bikes and began troubleshooting it. Turned out someone had bypassed the jackshaft, lost the tensioner and ruined the clutch. Easy fix, I had those parts from the first bike. I had it up and running in less than an hour from the time I got it home, it's a fun little bike. I swapped the rear tire the next day and have been riding for a couple of hours every day since. So, that's the story so far...

Now, here's where things get tricky. I'm a really big, heavy guy. When I say heavy, I mean 308 pounds. I wanted to use the Baja as a camp bike (load my pack jump on it and take of through the woods for a couple of days). Keep in mind, I've been riding the bike just fine, it runs great on decent hills and level ground. I feel like the engine has more than enough power, without any signs of my weight being an issue. So I feel like the weak link is between the engine and the rear wheel.

Where I camp, there's one steep hill and quite a few small ruts that will require going slow and having plenty of torque, which is what my bike lacks right now. So, what I need, is an idea on clutches, sprockets, a TAV, or a gearbox/transmission of some kind. I don't need to go fast, but I'd like to keep the top speed at at least 20-25mph if possible, but I'll sacrifice speed if I have to. I know Rokons and some other bikes have insane torque with very small engines, but they are all out of my price range, so I'm open to ideas on getting this Baja to do what I need it to do (as long as no one suggests losing weight). :glare:

My budget is limited, but I'm willing to consider anything up to $300, more than that, it just won't be worth it.

"SHORT VERSION"

Baja 6.5hp
load- 300lbs+
Need more torque, willing to trade some speed
Need advice on clutches, sprockets or a TAV.

Hey

I just finished a build. My bike has a jackshaft. I played around with some gear variations just to experiment. Surprising how much top speed or low end you can get from changing the sprockets. Another thing would be a Torque Converter which acts similar to an automatic transmission. They work very well in off road applications. A clutch will probably burn out. Hope this helps some.

I'm 350 pounds and have a Mini BAja and MB200 and both have TAVs. I beat the snot out of them and they take the hills with no problems.:thumbsup:

Thanks everyone! It looks like a TAV is the answer. So, anyone know where I can get a good price on one? (A board member has one for sale, but It's gonna be a couple of weeks before I have that much cash, so I'm sure it will be gone before then.)

Last edited:
hey Ramrod,welcome to the Forum,and gotta question for you.
the back rim off the baja Heat,the one you parted.
would you be willing to sell it?
i have a bike in need....
please lmk and thanks.
id need the whole wheel with the brake and axle,if possible.

also,with the baja warriors,make Sure you Check the Welds on the Engine plate,which is made out of tinfoil!!
same goes for the jackshaft you reinstalled,that Tab on the back will crack around the engine plate as well.
i myself,not saying i know anything btw,use #40 chain on mine,the stock chains Suck and will break when you are miles from home.
my ratio is 58 rear gear teeth,pretty close to 60,my bike runs 43 mph.
but not enough acceleration<<<so thats where i too am headed next,is the Tav.
they say you lose some mph tho.
toss a Tav on yours with a 60 rear plate,someone here will know the exact mph or pretty close to it.

if you weld a Solid engine plate in there,all the way to the front tubes,you can then fit a 8hp Honda in there...thats where im at now...trying to figure the tav/clutch setup that isnt 5 inches wide..:confused:
i have no clue how much Torque a 8hp honda makes,but im betting its a Lot.

Last edited:
Thanks guys!:thumbsup:

I was wondering if the Chinese knock off TAVs were any good. I know the belts on the KOs suck, but I haven't really heard much about the clutches and backplate. I'm willing to pay more for the real Comet, if I need to, but if the KO works, I'd love to put the savings toward other upgrades. I already built a "test" header pipe, and I can tell a difference in power (and noise). The pipe looks just like the ones most of the online kart and bike shops sell specifically shaped for the Baja MB200, (it goes along the side of the frame and clamps on the down-tube near the fender). It's not a "bad" design, but I'd rather find one that stays away from my leg more. No matter what pipe I use in the long run, I'll be wrapping it anyway. If anyone knows of a nice looking pipe that fits well on the Baja, I'd like to see a photo or a link to it. I don't have a pipe bender or welder handy or I'd fab a better one myself.

On another note, I have a lot of questions coming to mind everyday and I've been looking over the forums for answers, but most times I'm not seeing exactly what I'm looking for. Should I just keep posting my questions in this thread or would I be better off to start specific threads for each thing?

Well, so far no more progress has been made on the bike. I'm still looking for info on the differences between the Chinese TAVs and the real Comet ones. I also need more info about adding a decent lighting setup. I'd like to be able to keep a small 12v battery charged off the engine during the day and power the lights with it at night. I'm also still interested in seeing other exhaust pipes that work well on the Baja. Also, are the GTC T2s good? The plate on them bolts right up without any mods, which would be a plus for me. Would an engine platform keep me from needing to mod the Comet backplate? If so, does anyone know a good place to get one?

There are no options right now to power a light off the Predator engine. A small 12v battery and LED lights are the best bet.

As far as the TAV, there are many builds posted on here that have used both kinds of TAV :)chinese: and Comet). All of my TAVs are Comet, so I can't tell you about the :chinese: ones.

The differences I have read about from the builds have been minor. With proper maintenance, they both should work for you.

I ran into an issue today. One of my idiot friends had bolted the extra jackshaft onto my Predator motor. I guess he thought he was helping, but instead, he ruined the mounting holes in the side of the engine.:censure: The good thing is, I have a spare that will work and if it doesn't, I can always grab one online for around $15 including shipping. Other than the aggravation, it's not really an issue, since I still don't have the cash to get a TAV yet.:shrug: My room mate owes me rent, so I'll have enough to get one of the :chinese: ones when he pays me. I'm also starting to get more interested in doing some other mods now. I just want to focus on getting working lights, a TAV, and a better header first. I'm really liking how the engines look when the gas tank has been relocated and everything. Something I'm wondering about that, is gravity feed or a fuel pump the way to go? I feel like gravity feed is more reliable, but are there any performance gains to having a fuel pump?

I've found a few options for getting the Predator to charge a battery and run lights, heck, I can even add an electric start to it it seems. I have a feeling the starter would interfere with installing the TAV, so while it sounds good, I probably won't attempt it, but the charging/lighting system is on my wish list right after the TAV.
Since I'm thinking about doing more mods to this engine, I may run the TAV on the stock Baja engine for a while, so I can keep the Predator on the bench while I add all the aftermarket stuff to it. That will also give me a chance to see how the TAV and the governor play together, just in case I feel the gov needs removing on the Pred. Of course that would also require me to rethink the lighting kit, since I'll want a billet flywheel if I'm running without a gov.:confused: There's just SO many things I have to think about on this build. I've even been considering borrowing my friends welder so I can make a decent header, since I can't find anything I like, that will fit the Baja. Who knows, if my welding skills are still what they used to be, I might even do some tweaking on the frame, like adding a seat with springs under it and raising the front fender mount to keep it off the tire when going through ruts. I'll probably start a new thread soon and try to get more answers about some of this stuff, but I want to thank you Stangrcr1, for the help you've provided.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
So long as the bottom of the tank is above the carb inlet, no need for a fuel pump.

Starter should fit with TAV.

My Predator with TAV still has it's governor.

As far as lights, etc. I was thinking of a small generator mounted somewhere, but never got to it. I have plenty of fun riding it in the daytime.

Just save up and get the TAV. Put in on and ride. Then see where you want to go with it.

Due to my room mate being late with his rent, I haven't had a chance to buy a TAV yet, but I'm hoping he pays me tomorrow and I can order one. I really want a real Comet, but I don't like the idea of chopping up the aluminum backplate to make it fit on the Baja. I've looked for a steel version, but I haven't had any luck finding one for a reasonable price. I'd feel better about chopping up one of the knockoff plates, but I don't know what kind of quality to expect from them. If the :chinese: units work, my next concern would be the quality of the belt included. I know there's a way around modding the backplate, but it requires me to lift the engine and I can't find a place to buy a mounting platform that will work and I don't know anyone who can make me one for a decent price.

Anyway, while I've been waiting on my money, I've tore down one of my 6.5 clones and cleaned it up to get ready to rebuild it. I've been reading up on ways to squeeze some more Hp out of it, but I haven't decided which mods to go for yet. Since I have 2 running engines, I don't have to be in a hurry to build this one, so I can buy things here and there without stressing out. I've got so little income and so many bills, it really makes it rough to have any fun hobbies, but life is too short to sit around being bored all the time.:pimp:

* 8:40AM-Just got the rent money! I'll be ordering a TAV later today!

Last edited: