New MonsterMoto with predator, could use some input please.

Hello all,
I recently purchased a used monster moto 80 with the predator engine swap already done. I had a chance to ride it with my daughter over the weekend and have a couple questions.
First and foremost I ordered the CVT kit as her legs were too close to the chain and the clutch got wayyy too hot. So that issue is solved. But I have two things in particular I was hoping to get help with.

The first issue is we cannot both fit our feet on the pegs. I would like some extended length pegs but cant seem to find any. Can I get a universal kit that is longer or are there any better options out there?

The second issue is the throttle is very hard to turn. I relieved the cable from the motor and it spins just fine so it must just be difficult to pull the new motors linkage. Is there a better setup out there to make twisting the throttle easier (perhaps a thumb throttle)?

Thanks for the input!

gbabins1

Not sure about longer aftermarket pegs but maybe you can look into making them longer or just making some new ones if you have the ability. Are far as the throttle... if the cable and the throttle grip turns fine and the cable is sliding smoothly, try moving the linkage on the motor by hand and see if it's stiff. Maybe you can loosen the bolt on it to make it move freely. [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Any pic?..guess you left the clutch outboard as you mentioned foot pegs..i know the carb is tight fit otherwise...the issue with throttle hard to turn may be throttle plate screw too tight at engine??. you could take apart throttle at grip if that is the problem and sand inside or oil it..

Last edited:

olddog

As mentioned the throttle plate screw can be checked, you can pop off the return spring to see if it's the spring, although the stock springs are not that strong.

I can remove the connection from the throttle cable to the engine and the throttle is silky smooth and easy to twist. It's when I hook it up to the engine it is super hard to turn. I can pull the throttle on the engine easily when not hooked up as well. It's only when they are hooked to each other that it is difficult to turn. :shrug:

Turns out the spring was under too much tension easy fix.
The CVT project however has been a nightmare. I've had to cut and modify the frame and the engine in order to get it to fit.
I made the mistake of thinking the kits built for the predator would fit on the monstermotot. Unfortunately that is not the case. Ive got some welding and grinding to do but will try and get some pics later.

Turns out the spring was under too much tension easy fix.
The CVT project however has been a nightmare. I've had to cut and modify the frame and the engine in order to get it to fit.
I made the mistake of thinking the kits built for the predator would fit on the monstermotot. Unfortunately that is not the case. Ive got some welding and grinding to do but will try and get some pics later.
https://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/...oto-mmb-80-predator-212-torque-converter.html

If I would have known how complicated this project would have been I probably wouldnt have attempted it to begin with. But alas, she's done (almost). As soon as the cvt engage it pulls the front tire off the ground even with me being 200lbs. Noob question, which sprocket should I change to what to get less torque and more speed? Currently she maxes out at about 30mph.

moto.jpg

Pardon my ignorance here but does that adapter go with this? https://www.OldMiniBikes.com/-35-split-sprocket-54t.html

I have never seen anything like that before and just want to make sure i'm ordering the right thing. Also it says it is #35 chain, is that what came stock on my monstermoto? I ask because I'm still using the factory chain, just shortened.

If so 54 tooth seems to be the lowest I can find, do you think that is appropriate for what I'm trying to achieve?

Last edited:
Yes that is the sprocket that works with the adapter.

I have no idea what chain comes on your bike but I would assume that it had a #35 chain. :shrug:

Use the gear ratio calculators to figure the tooth count you need.

To find out what chain you have, measure the center-center distance between the pins in the chain. If it's 3/8", you have 35 chain. If it's 1/2", you have 40 or 41 chain.

Alternatively, if you used the sprockets that came with the Torque Converter, if the sprocket that fit the chain has 10 teeth, you have 40 or 41 chain. If the 12 tooth sprocket fit, then you got 35 chain.