New (to me) Doodlebug - advice welcome.

Hey yall,

My older cousin and all his neighbors got into vintage mini bikes last year and have about 20 between the 6 of them; all shapes and sizes and makes. I rode his doodlebug and fell in love. Did a little craigslisting and found this for $200. It needs a little TLC, but for the most part it goes (fast) in a straight line and stops.

Any input on what style I have, engine, etc... Is appreciated. Obviously you'll only be able to see so much from the pictures, but all info helps.

Also, where is the best place to buy tires and replacement parts online for the best price?

Cheers!

145 70 6 is the size that goes on it your local tire retailer should be able to get them the rest of the parts you can get them here ,nr racing or bmi parts is where i get my fix from

The Style is a Doodlebug the only difference is really the color for types of doodle bugs that and the tires. since it looks like someone put slicks on it unless you peed the paint you wont really know "which" doodle bug it is. The serial number should on the right hand side of the handle bar mount. Looks like it should be a LUAH (DB30-S). >This is where you would look up parts Baja Motorsports | Parts Catalogs (if you're looking for a restore) < I have tried to order parts myself and they definitely don't have everything. The main site to get anything from would of course be OldMiniBikes warehouse. There is a link at the top of the page just click on it. Best of luck! Glad to have you here, love the Doodles myself :)

I have found that the best place for me to buy tires is ebay. I prefer Carlisle tires. I have bought both of my sets of tires for around $42 shipped to me. I would recommend the 15x5x6. If you're looking for an off-road tire, the snow hogs are awesome. The XTrac is a little more aggressive, but still very good. The Turf Savers are a little more for street riding (I've never used them, but have heard good things about them). Unfortunately, I think the Turf Savers only come in 15x6x6. You may be able to buy the 145x70x6. Not sure. I like the 15" tires because they're a little taller.

If you're looking for slicks, you'll need to look at places that sell karting tires. They're a little more expensive. I've got a bunch of 5" tires from a friend who races. They all have lots of life left on them. Maybe you could find someone who is into kart racing, and you can ask them for some tires that have a few laps on them? Just an idea.

As for replacement parts? Well, you bike looks complete. If you can ride it safely, then ride it as is. For engine parts (it looks like you have a Honda clone of somekind), there are lots of places online. OldMiniBikes warehouse is great to work with. I also like Dover Power and NR racing. I have not heard very many good things about Affordable Go Karts, but I love their website. I would also suggest that you spend some time on the forum. There are lots of knowledgable dudes here. They're polite and willing to help. I'd also suggest getting a second job. This hobby can be expensive.

You did good for $200 !
Based on the values of the ones my family has, it seemed like a good deal.

The Style is a Doodlebug the only difference is really the color for types of doodle bugs that and the tires. since it looks like someone put slicks on it unless you peed the paint you wont really know "which" doodle bug it is. The serial number should on the right hand side of the handle bar mount. Looks like it should be a LUAH (DB30-S). >This is where you would look up parts - Baja Motorsports | Parts Catalogs[/url] (if you're looking for a restore) < I have tried to order parts myself and they definitely don't have everything. The main site to get anything from would of course be OldMiniBikes warehouse. There is a link at the top of the page just click on it. Best of luck! Glad to have you here, love the Doodles myself :)
Thank you.

I have found that the best place for me to buy tires is ebay. I prefer Carlisle tires. I have bought both of my sets of tires for around $42 shipped to me. I would recommend the 15x5x6. If you're looking for an off-road tire, the snow hogs are awesome. The XTrac is a little more aggressive, but still very good. The Turf Savers are a little more for street riding (I've never used them, but have heard good things about them). Unfortunately, I think the Turf Savers only come in 15x6x6. You may be able to buy the 145x70x6. Not sure. I like the 15" tires because they're a little taller.

If you're looking for slicks, you'll need to look at places that sell karting tires. They're a little more expensive. I've got a bunch of 5" tires from a friend who races. They all have lots of life left on them. Maybe you could find someone who is into kart racing, and you can ask them for some tires that have a few laps on them? Just an idea.

As for replacement parts? Well, you bike looks complete. If you can ride it safely, then ride it as is. For engine parts (it looks like you have a Honda clone of somekind), there are lots of places online. OldMiniBikes warehouse is great to work with. I also like Dover Power and NR racing. I have not heard very many good things about Affordable Go Karts, but I love their website. I would also suggest that you spend some time on the forum. There are lots of knowledgable dudes here. They're polite and willing to help. I'd also suggest getting a second job. This hobby can be expensive.
Awesome, thank you. It needs a little work right now, but nothing major, but into the future I'd like to mod it slightly. The forum does seem to be bursting at the seams with info, so I'll be sure to put aside plenty of time to research. I took that second job a few months ago and didn't know what to do with the money... Now I know!

Cheers

Nice DB David...I have the early DB to the one with metal fenders like yours...I threw a 212 Predator on that bike and love it ! Lifts the front wheel now !

Nice DB David...I have the early DB to the one with metal fenders like yours...I threw a 212 Predator on that bike and love it ! Lifts the front wheel now !
Yeah, the predator is $99 all month at HF. I may wait until I blow this engine up, but im considering it. The guy I bought this one from has done some work, because itll put me on my butt if im not leaning forward on take off (and Im 270 lbs).

If you do decide to get a new 212 try to get one of the 60363 engines or the hemi head engine as most call it.. there suppose to be about 8hp right out of the box.

If you do decide to get a new 212 try to get one of the 60363 engines or the hemi head engine as most call it.. there suppose to be about 8hp right out of the box.
Ditto on this! The 60363 is the sku you want. If you call and ask if they're in stock, be sure to tell them you ONLY want that specific sku. Their system will reroute them to a different sku that is non-hemi, and they'll say "Yeah, we've got 10 in stock!". I had this happen at two different locations before I figured out which questions to ask on the phone.

Also, I am fairly new to these as well, and had no problem whatsoever doing the OldMiniBikes upgrade kit 1 to it. It's like $85, but makes it run SO much more smooth...

Ditto on this! The 60363 is the sku you want. If you call and ask if they're in stock, be sure to tell them you ONLY want that specific sku. Their system will reroute them to a different sku that is non-hemi, and they'll say "Yeah, we've got 10 in stock!". I had this happen at two different locations before I figured out which questions to ask on the phone.

Also, I am fairly new to these as well, and had no problem whatsoever doing the OldMiniBikes upgrade kit 1 to it. It's like $85, but makes it run SO much more smooth...
Good to know! Thank you

I like the 60363 engine because it comes with a flat top piston instead of a dish piston ..and any of the GX200 Honda or the clone 6.5hp cams fit in this engine...and are much cheaper to buy.

OK, so first question. I cant seem to find a set of front forks/handlebars on any websites.

I don't know if its normal, but the handlebars on this bike are all kinds of messed up, pointing in odd directions... Ive searched, but cant seem to find a replacement part...

OK, so first question. I cant seem to find a set of front forks/handlebars on any websites.

I don't know if its normal, but the handlebars on this bike are all kinds of messed up, pointing in odd directions... Ive searched, but cant seem to find a replacement part...