New to me super bronc

Picked this up today...probably paid more than I should have, but it was only 1/2hr drive. I have been keeping my eye out for 1 on and off for awhile.

. Not sure what is original on it , has not run in years and is low on compression . Not sure if it's worth rebuilding or not. Looks like I'll put the tav on it and figure out something for breaks. Nice seat tho , repop. Frame is straight and dent free.

Wife hates it so I know it will be cool one day.

Attachments

Nice find. Congratulations !

I'd vote to get that original motor running. If you have to rebuild it, it'll still be worth it (in my opinion).

Enjoy !

kayde

You got a great start too a awesome project, these broncs are a hoot to ride and come in handy when work needs to get done.

That motor has the charge coils in it too power the lights , your probably gonna want that.

Thanks guys... does that look like the original motor? W hat are people using for clutching...tav? I ask because the 1 I have is very stiff to push if you need too. I hope there is a better quality than the knock off I have e now.

kayde

Thanks guys... does that look like the original motor? W hat are people using for clutching...tav? I ask because the 1 I have is very stiff to push if you need too. I hope there is a better quality than the knock off I have e now.
Looks like the original tecumseh either 8 or 10 hp.
On top of the pull start cover will be the ID numbers will be either hm80 or hm100
Someone has the front cover and the head bolts loose so the head gasket is probably leaking compression.

Can't help ya on the tav part that's a bummer the it wasn't on the bike.

mustangfrank

Original type engine but I'm guessing not original to the bike, I'm pretty sure that vintage of Bronc had the carb mounted right on the head with the metal fuel pump below. I haven't quite figured out when or if they went to that style drop intake @chatten63.

The factory "TAV" plate is basically a modified stamped Comet TAV 1 with one or two cover tabs moved and the integral jackshaft brake assy off the back output. Clutches are 30 series. Give me a shout if you want to lay eyes on my Bronc to figure which way you want to go, it's rider rough but all there as it left the factory.

chrisr

Original type engine but I'm guessing not original to the bike, I'm pretty sure that vintage of Bronc had the carb mounted right on the head with the metal fuel pump below. I haven't quite figured out when or if they went to that style drop intake @chatten63.

The factory "TAV" plate is basically a modified stamped Comet TAV 1 with one or two cover tabs moved and the integral jackshaft brake assy off the back output. Clutches are 30 series. Give me a shout if you want to lay eyes on my Bronc to figure which way you want to go, it's rider rough but all there as it left the factory.
I have had several Super Broncs and the only one that I had with a carb mounted right on the engine was a 10hp. All the 8hp ones were all the drop-down style intake carbs.

mustangfrank

I have had several Super Broncs and the only one that I had with a carb mounted right on the engine was a 10hp. All the 8hp ones were all the drop-down style intake carbs.
Not all...mine is an original 8hp VT-8 and it has the short carb mount/spacer on the head. I bought a spare 8hp pulled from a Bronc for the tins, same there also, both engines are circa 1980-81 with the later style throttle linkage. It must be a matter of what Heald ordered at different points, both versions of the intake style/engines were available long after Broncs stopped being made. I have a few 8 & 10hp Power Sport flatheads that had the factory short/direct mount carbs from the mid to late 90s.