Newbee question re Rupp swing arm

JAGGUY

I picked up an old Rupp to restore.
I have it painted and am putting it together. I put the swing arm back on the frame the same way I took it off, but it doesn't make good sense to me.
It attaches with 2 bolts and lock washers into threaded inserts in the frame, and that's it...
If I tighten the bolts down the swing arm locks up. If I leave them loose I'm sure they will work their way out.

Is this how these minibikes are done? If so I think I will cross drill the frame and bolts and use a cotter pin and replace the lock washer with a flat washer.

Thoughts?

There is a shaft that goes inside the swingarm weldment tube which the bolts thread into. The shaft is supposed to be a little longer than the outer tube and is also supposed to be able to move independently of the swingarm weldment. You will need to remove the inner shaft, probably replace it with a new one, lube it back up, and re-insert it into the swingarm weldment. Good luck. It is the part I hate the most when I get another Rupp to restore.:doah:

JAGGUY

Thanks for the help. The more I thought about it the more I figured that's how it worked.
I took off the swing arm this morning and used my hydraulic press to push out the inner shaft. Cleaned and greased and works slick now.

Have it mostly put back together. Still need a chain and the rear brake doesn't seem to do much. Will need to look into that...
Fired the engine and with a few adjustments to the new ebay carb it runs pretty good.

Attachments

Thanks!
The original Tecumseh tank looked like it had been filled with water at some time and it and the carb were completely rotted out.
I had the tank from a bicycle engine project so I used it.
Actually took it for a little ride today. First time on a minibike in more than 40 years...Squirrely little thing.
Need to get a working brake before I ride it again

capguncowboy

Actually took it for a little ride today. First time on a minibike in more than 40 years...Squirrely little thing.
Need to get a working brake before I ride it again
Is the rear drum not working? You can find most of the parts for the 67 Rupps on BlackWidowMotorSports.net Great site to order from. Jim is really helpful

All the brake parts look very good and the shoes expand but there is very little stopping power.
It is adjusted so there is lots of distance from the lever to the handelbar but at full "grip" it still doesn't stop...
Thanks for the tip on the website for parts.

Humm, I just figured it was just a marginal setup from new. The shoes are clean with better than 1/8" lining and the drum was cleaned and sanded. Should work. I'll take it apart again and see if there is some reason for the shoes not contacting the drum as they should.
Thanks.

markus

too many bends in the brake cable, running it down the front of the frame and straight out to brake (like original) will make a big difference in stopping power.

too many bends in the brake cable, running it down the front of the frame and straight out to brake (like original) will make a big difference in stopping power.
That made a lot of sense. I re-routed the cable and the action is smoother and the brakes work a little.
Still need to dig further into this.
Thanks!