Newbie - with a Cam Am Bombardier Bantam

Hi All,

I've just acquired a minibike from my father's estate, the bike was always at home but never used, there was a bit of history to it.

Anyway, its a 1971 Cam AM Bantam Bombardier - 50cc, I believe it has a GARELLI motor. The bike was restored about 10 years ago and is all original, except for some aftermarket indicators (I think).

I haven't started it as yet since I need some information, I was hoping that people here could help.

Firstly - What grade of oil should I be using in the engine ?
Secondly - I'm assuming that it's a two stoke, so what in the petrol to oil ratio I should use and again what grade of oil?
Thirdly - I'm assuming that I run it on 95RON petrol?
Lastly does anyone have a PDF version of the original manual?

I'm going to flush the petrol tank and clean the carburettor with carby cleaner, the tyres look in good condition and hold air, ait filter could do with replacement. I also be on the lookout for a new clutch cable and accelerator cable, as both have wear and tear.

I'm hoping to get it road worth and put it on historical/condition registration since it's 30 years old.

Thanks in Advance

AdrianS

Attachments

hey mate, nice bantam,
the whole bike was actually built by Garelli, it uses the same frame as the broncco of the 60's and minibat of the 70's . garelli also gave them a few other names depending on the market they were sold in but the bombardier bantam is the rarest form of these bikes as they were only produced for 9 months.

Hey Adrians !

Welcome to the OldMiniBikes !

Cool bike, I hope you enjoy it, and are able to save it for your children one day :thumbsup:

Hi All,

I've just acquired a minibike from my father's estate, the bike was always at home but never used, there was a bit of history to it.

Anyway, its a 1971 Cam AM Bantam Bombardier - 50cc, I believe it has a GARELLI motor. The bike was restored about 10 years ago and is all original, except for some aftermarket indicators (I think).

I haven't started it as yet since I need some information, I was hoping that people here could help.

Firstly - What grade of oil should I be using in the engine ?
Secondly - I'm assuming that it's a two stoke, so what in the petrol to oil ratio I should use and again what grade of oil?
Thirdly - I'm assuming that I run it on 95RON petrol?
Lastly does anyone have a PDF version of the original manual?

I'm going to flush the petrol tank and clean the carburettor with carby cleaner, the tyres look in good condition and hold air, ait filter could do with replacement. I also be on the lookout for a new clutch cable and accelerator cable, as both have wear and tear.

I'm hoping to get it road worth and put it on historical/condition registration since it's 30 years old.

Thanks in Advance

AdrianS
Hi there Adrian, did you ever get this bike Registered

What a great bike!
since the bike has sat for such a long time, I would run 15:1 for the first tank to make sure all the bearings and seals get a good coating of oil. And after that, if the experts agree, 25:1 was probably the normal ratio for that engine. ( 55 year old memory when I was a young teenager.)
Any good 2-Stroke oil should be fine. With the engine being so old, it may not like the synthetic oils ( seals) so you may want to stick with a petroleum based oil.

Hi All,

An Old thread !
Unfortunately the bike sat for another few years. This January 2020 I stripped it down, brought new seals, gaskets, clutch kit, cables etc.

IMG_3152.JPG IMG_3153.JPG

I'm about to pull the motor apart and replace the main gasket as it constantly leak oil.

I'll take the advice of the fuel mixture for the first run.

Thomo73 - No. I haven't got it registered yet, but it does have indicators now ! - I'll be putting it on Club rego since its 30 years old.

I have a few other newie questions:

What grade/weight of oil should I be using in the fuel mix ?
What grade/weight of oil should I be using in the gearbox ? Any special additives to the oil ?

Attachments

You ONLY want to use a 2-Stroke oil, NEVER use an automobile engine oil. While it may work, you will not get the protection of a 2-stroke oil that control ash and other bad deposits from forming.
A good generic 2-strke oil will be fine to use.
I'm not familiar with you bikes transmission. I'm sure someone will chime in.

You ONLY want to use a 2-Stroke oil, NEVER use an automobile engine oil. While it may work, you will not get the protection of a 2-stroke oil that control ash and other bad deposits from forming.
A good generic 2-strke oil will be fine to use.
I'm not familiar with you bikes transmission. I'm sure someone will chime in.
Thanks for the info Rob

Hi All,

An Old thread !
Unfortunately the bike sat for another few years. This January 2020 I stripped it down, brought new seals, gaskets, clutch kit, cables etc.

View attachment 261680 View attachment 261681

I'm about to pull the motor apart and replace the main gasket as it constantly leak oil.

I'll take the advice of the fuel mixture for the first run.

Thomo73 - No. I haven't got it registered yet, but it does have indicators now ! - I'll be putting it on Club rego since its 30 years old.

I have a few other newie questions:

What grade/weight of oil should I be using in the fuel mix ?
What grade/weight of oil should I be using in the gearbox ? Any special additives to the oil ?
It look like your internals have a little moisture from storage. Transmission oil is what is used for gear box. And if you have replaced crank seals and piston/rings the use a synthetic 2stoke oil.

May i ask Why have the indicators been installed. Great job on the bike it looks great.
I have another 2 stroke road bike and I will just be using the same oil across the two bikes. 20200502_102846.jpg 20200502_102822.jpg

It look like your internals have a little moisture from storage. Transmission oil is what is used for gear box. And if you have replaced crank seals and piston/rings the use a synthetic 2stoke oil.
Yes some rust, but all the parts have been soaking in WD40, cleaned up with a wire brush and re coated with oil. I brought new clutch plates from the USA.