Newby mini bike for pulling

I'm trying to determine whether a mini bike could drag a deer from the woods. I have an atv but like the idea of the narrow footprint of a mini. The coleman 212 are readily available in my area. There's tons of info on how to make them faster, I don't care about top speed just pulling power. Any advise would help me make my decision.

Installing a larger sprocket on the rear wheel will increase pulling power. If you put a torque converter on it, along with the largest sprocket that will fit the wheel, it will give you decent speed when you are scouting and pull like a tractor when you drag something behind it, as long as you are sensible with the throttle.
I would leave the engine alone. With it geared that low, you DEFINITELY want the governor working to protect your engine.

Installing a larger sprocket on the rear wheel will increase pulling power. If you put a torque converter on it, along with the largest sprocket that will fit the wheel, it will give you decent speed when you are scouting and pull like a tractor when you drag something behind it, as long as you are sensible with the throttle.
I would leave the engine alone. With it geared that low, you DEFINITELY want the governor working to protect your engine.
Thank you. That's a logical simple answer. Are there torque converters that are designed for low end power or is that all in the sprocket(s)?

1971_MB1A

I'm trying to determine whether a mini bike could drag a deer from the woods. I have an atv but like the idea of the narrow footprint of a mini. The coleman 212 are readily available in my area. There's tons of info on how to make them faster, I don't care about top speed just pulling power. Any advise would help me make my decision.
Not a mini but I'd say a Honda CT90 with high/low range may be your best choice for that.

pomfish

Not a mini but I'd say a Honda CT90 with high/low range may be your best choice for that.
Yeah, This.
Because of simple fact of wheelbase. The mini is going to want to wheelie even at slow speed with that much weight being pulled unless you are going to put front weights on it like a Tractor.
Honda CT110 would be even better for even more torque, but same bike frame as 90 with about 70 inches total length.

Another vote for what they said^^^^^
I own a 1969 Honda CT -90. In the low range theses bikes have incredible pulling power and it would be a hell of a lot more comfortable to ride than a minibike.
Michael

panchothedog

If the mini bike wheelies or not depends on where the attachment points is. If you try pulling attached at seat height it will pick up and come over on you without much fight. If you were fabricate a harness that attached to the foot pegs, down low and mid ship length wise it would take a LOT more to lift the front end. All torque converters have the same low range. I'M with sparkwizard all the way on this one. A torque converter, A Big sprocket, and a low forward pulling point, I think you could drag a deer quite easily.

CT90 is a dream of mine, but if and when I do see them, they are either not for sale, not worth fixing or way out of my price range.
I should have kept the one I had in 1979.

SAS289

One of my Coleman's has too much low end. I have to be careful with the throttle and seating position. If you are going to gear for a lot of low end to drag deer do it with the stock engine.

As mentioned above by @Lizardking , they can be hard to find and pricey.
I know what you mean on the hard to find. Pretty much any vintage mini bike purchase involves a road trip !

I found my Tote Gote here, bought it off of a member here on the Oldminibikes.com forum. I bought it from Gerald @clutchkilker2011 , for $400 - 3 or 4 years back. He brought it to Windber for me.

So, you never know...put up a want ad on the forum here for a utility bike !

Last edited: