Next project in the que.... Super Bronc my buddy picked up

My buddy called me the other day and said he saw this mini bike and asked what it was worth. I gave him the usual reply," its going to cost as much to do right as it will be worth".... "But I'd pay $200 as long as the engine and the thing bolted to it came with it" ... He said the guy wanted $40 for it... I said go back and get it! Between the tank and the TAV with backing plate those parts are worth $200 plus... Of course I'm thinking a clone and putting a band brake on the rear tire.... Then selling the TAV backing plate... Not that I need another Super Bronc(I never keep them) but I don't have any projects lined up and they always sell at Windber....But we will see...

Last edited:
Dang it why can't I find a deal like that. Thats exactly the project I'm searching for to make dad a bike to deer hunt off of and for a perfect price.:censure:

Of all the Super Broncs I have put together. The best running and stopping ones have had Clones on them with "different" brakes than what you would normally find.
One had the rarer disc rear brake and the other was a simple band brake I had made for the rear wheel. I never liked the hard clunky stop from the band brake set up on the back of the TAV or the brake on the jackshaft on the models where the jackshaft wasn t on the TAV. I like the smoother more gradual stop and knowing if the chain breaks I can still stop. I also hate the stock bars that never seem to tighten so I will be going again with risers and bigger bars.

The picture of the VT5 just shows with different bars as well. I cant find pics of my band brake set up on the other blue Super Bronc I made... Sold them both to Leon at Windber though... He probably bought 5 of the big tire bikes I had made.

Just picked up the Super Bronc. I threw him an extra $20 for his help...lol...$60 total...I am guessing it is a VT812 based on the motor and tires. Correct me if I'm wrong. Looks like 6092 stamped on the hinge which we know means nothing. Assuming it is the original motor,what year? 72?82? Not sure which way I am going with this yet. Get the original motor running(which spins freely) with original Tav backing ,Or toss on the clone and fabricate a brake. If I use the original stuff I won't paint it or do anything and just buy a used seat. Otherwise I will have to take it apart and go through the whole thing. I won't do anything this week except maybe clean up the motor a little and see what parts I need to order.

Randy, the more I look at your pictures, the more I see a pretty complete Super Bronc. I like your idea of using the original equipment, getting it running right, and just cleaning it up.

Somebody will want to buy that for sure...not that they wouldn't one of your clone creations, as they are gorgeous...but this could be another complete, albeit sweaty, but complete Heald Super Bronc back on the road.

My 2 cents worth.

Enjoy it !