Non-Detergent Oil

It’s not important. You want a oil that lubricates well, Keeps the engine clean, and has high film strength to protect cam/lifter and splash fed rod/crank journal. Valvoline vr1 10-30 works good but there are many other modern oils that work well in our engines.

mustangfrank

I always heard run non-detergent due to the potential for splash lubrication to cause foaming with detergent additive oils. My oil of choice (Valvoline 30W or 5W30) works well for me, never had a failure that had anything to do with oil.

Read something about Briggs and John Deere labeled oils being designed to not carry particles as much as automotive oils being run in non-filtered applications. Sounded logical but didn't sway me to use Deere oil in anything but my JD lawn tractor and I only got that because of a case sale.

Rooster63

Yeah, I guess Non Detergent sorta attaches the contaminents to the wall of the Oil Passages, and then comes out when the Oil is changed. Something like that.

from briggs website notice the part about using detergent oil.
Lawn mower oil type recommendations

Different oil types can work best at certain temperatures. Learn which one to choose for your climate.
  • SAE 30- Warmer temperatures, most common oil for small engines.
  • SAE 10W-30- Varying temperature range, this grade of oil improves cold-weather starting, but may increase oil consumption.
  • Synthetic SAE 5W-30- Best protection at all temperatures as well as improved starting with less oil consumption.
  • SAE 5W-30- Very cold temperatures.
  • Vanguard 15W-50- Varying temperature range. For continuous-use, such as commercial lawn cutting or pressure washing.
When choosing lawn mower oil, use a high-quality detergent oil classified as "For Service SF, SG, SH, SJ" or higher. Do not use special additives.
Synthetic oils are an acceptable oil at all temperatures. The use of synthetic oil does not alter required oil change intervals.
Purchase the right oil for your engine at shop.briggsandstratton.com.

*Below 40°F (4°C) the use of SAE 30 will result in hard starting.
**Above 80°F (27°C) the use of 10W30 may cause increased oil consumption. Check oil level more frequently.

VR1 has anti foam additives
Valvoline VR1 Racing Oil for engines is the No. 1 support for achieving maximum engine performance and durability in the heat of competition.
Its superior friction reduction boosts horsepower while keeping the engine protected at high temperatures.
The vital components of the racing oils that belong to the VR1 Racing range are the extra anti-wear additives (ZDDP) that provide superior protection against engine wear.
Additionally, the excellent oil-film strength improves the durability of the racing engine.
Finally, the sophisticated system of enhanced additives prevent deposit formation and fuel contamination, and the anti-foaming formulation also ensures superior protection at high engine rpm.

To be clear I am not pushing vr1 it is what I use in my mini motors. On my riding mowers and 4cycle garden stuff I buy 5quart containers of penzoil ultra 10/30 or any other similar oil.

Every single Tecumseh handbook or repair manual I own (and I have many) states to use a DETERGENT oil for these old "flatheads", and that is what I have done for all the Tecumseh engines we have owned over the years.
Michael

mustangfrank

Tecumseh manuals also stated in 1979 that cutting 10W with 10% kerosene was acceptable for sub 0 degree weather and leaded gas was OK to substitute.

I love engine oil posts...:)

20210109_175324.jpg 20210109_175403.jpg

Last edited:
I run Amsoil 10W-30 Synthetic Small Engine Oil in everything i own, have since '95 yet to have any oil related failures. We all know small engine are by far the most abused out there. My push lawn mower with attest that fact! :eek:
It's not a re-labeled automotive engine oil. Small Engine application is way harder on oil.
I don't run Dinosaur squeezins in anything anymore.
There are good synthetics out there.
Do a little research and go with what works for you. I just know from experience Amsoil products perform second to none.

Just my 2cents...

Mark

SAS289

Who has actually experienced an oil related failure where you were 100% sure it was a quality of oil issue? The only oil related failures I have seen were user errors.

Rooster63

Who has actually experienced an oil related failure where you were 100% sure it was a quality of oil issue? The only oil related failures I have seen were user errors.
It would take some SERIOUS MONEY to send things away to know for a FACT that it was Oil related.

desert rat

When I was a heavy equipment operator we drew oil samples at set hours and had them with the filters sent to a lab to be tested. We got reports back on metal content, acid content, water content, ECT. We got one report back hand delivered by a Cat mechanic that had us pull a 140 G out of the field for a complete hydro oil purge/ change because the oil had a high enough acid content to take out the whole system. Anyone can have this done but it ain't cheep.