North or South Carolina

I’m thinking of taking a road trip at the end of the year to the Carolinas. Mainly because I think it may be a good place to retire to. Does anyone know of some good areas you can buy cheap acreage. 10+ acres. Rural area but not too far from civilization. And of course mini bikes along the way.

My son and daughter live in New Bern NC. The ocean is about a 30-45 minute drive.
Lot's of wooded land in this area. Very nice small town. New Bern is the place Pepsi Cola was invented.
I get down there from NY at least once per year and stay for a month or so.

dshot59

My girl and I bought a place in South Carolina a town called Eastover, Pretty rural not far from Columbia the capitol. Like an hour to Myrtle beach.We got 8 acres a 3 bedroom house with a 4 bay out building and a 2 car garage,For 60k. We started a Jeep farm complete with a track around the property we ride all day it's pretty awesome. Dirt bikes ,quads, 3 wheelers mini bikes for the grand kids least that's what we tell them. Can't see the neighbors or the house from the road, love it.

My girl and I bought a place in South Carolina a town called Eastover, Pretty rural not far from Columbia the capitol. Like an hour to Myrtle beach.We got 8 acres a 3 bedroom house with a 4 bay out building and a 2 car garage,For 60k. We started a Jeep farm complete with a track around the property we ride all day it's pretty awesome. Dirt bikes ,quads, 3 wheelers mini bikes for the grand kids least that's what we tell them. Can't see the neighbors or the house from the road, love it.
I’d be happy with land. put a a 500sf house and a 40x40 shop….

$60k for all of that? Here in the SF Bay Area that would be a couple of million or more.

I’m thinking of taking a road trip at the end of the year to the Carolinas. Mainly because I think it may be a good place to retire to. Does anyone know of some good areas you can buy cheap acreage. 10+ acres. Rural area but not too far from civilization. And of course mini bikes along the way.
Just stay away from the Columbia area as it is considered the armpit of South Carolina by true Carolinians. And HOT... oh my goodness it can be miserable hot there. The entire middle of the state is a sand pit. There is good dirt but not everywhere. The low country has the richest soil you could ever want. The upstate is a red dirt, hard as a brick until it gets wet, pain to do anything with. It's an all-day affair with a pick and a shovel just to burry your dog here. Charleston has always been the city by the sea, but it is now known as the shitty by the sea by the locals (tourist have completely taken over) and Greenville is growing so fast that it's pretty much overrun. I talked to a friend a week or so ago that like me was born and raised in Charleston. He said it's almost impossible to find a true Charlestonian anywhere.

Ashville used to be a beautiful city that was a joy to visit but crime seems to have taken over the city. At least that's all you read in the news here. Crime is all you read about Charlotte too. And that's all I can tell you about North Carolins.

If you like vinegar, then NC is the choice but if you like mustard or ketchup its SC.

If you want to figure out the actual ruralness of somewhere then get these Atlases and study a little. They will show you everything right down to a dirt road. They might help you rule out an area or discover a better area.

DeLorme Atlas & Gazetteer: South Carolina (Delorme Atlas & Gazeteer): Delorme: 9781946494078: Amazon.com: Books

DeLorme Atlas & Gazetteer: North Carolina (North Carolina Atlas and Gazetteer): Delorme: 0753759225612: Amazon.com: Books

Last edited:

MKW

Tennessee is where I would go. I live in Murrells Inlet and it was nice 10 yrs ago, but now, like Charleston, it is overrun with folks moving here. They are building houses by the thousands and doing very little with the infrastructure (roads and such). Traffic has become absolutely miserable.
As I said before, if I was dead set on SC/NC, I would look near Cherry Grove/Little River/Calabash. Though I'm sure they will be overrun in the years to come.

Tennessee is where I would go. I live in Murrells Inlet and it was nice 10 yrs ago, but now, like Charleston, it is overrun with folks moving here. They are building houses by the thousands and doing very little with the infrastructure (roads and such). Traffic has become absolutely miserable.
As I said before, if I was dead set on SC/NC, I would look near Cherry Grove/Little River/Calabash. Though I'm sure they will be overrun in the years to come.
When I moved to the upstate in 06 everybody that I talked to said " I am going to the beach". I said what beach? They always said Myrtle Beach. I haven't heard anybody talk about going to the beach in the last 8 or 9 years. They must have gotten their fill of the tourist too. Born and raised in the low country and there is no way I would move back. PERIOD! I absolutely hated my last visit to Sullivans Island for a family get together on the Wifes side. She agreed with me, that was the last trip to the low country. It's funny when I think about it, but the last time we went to the beach was in the mid 90's and it was just 20 miles from the house. We always went to the mountains for relaxation.

Depends on where you land in Tennessee too. The entire eastern end of the state is getting overrun by tourist. Everybody wants to see the "mountains" and then come fall everybody wants to see the "pretty leaves".

Charleston used to have very vibrant fall colors until hurricane Hugo came through and brought all kinds of strange weeds and plants that have sprung up since. Now the fall colors are almost unnoticeable in comparison. We had squirrels everywhere until Hugo and we didn't see any until the 3rd year after the storm.

I’d be happy with land. put a a 500sf house and a 40x40 shop….
I always thought a metal building what was 60 by 100 would be the ultimate home build. Take the first 20 feet and build an envelope house inside the building. Separate it with a floor to ceiling wall with 2 layers of 5/8'' fireproof sheetrock on the house side of the wall and 2 layers of 5/8'' sheetrock on the out side. Use the next 20 feet as a drive through bay for all your parking needs with another 4 layer fireproof wall and then you would have 60 feet of shop. Build the building and live in a camper while you build the "stealth" house inside.

Here is what I learned when I built my 60 by 100 metal building. It is an engineered building so there are no inspections other than to come and see that the footers are done correct, and the final is an exterior walk around that says its built/completed. Thats it no internal inspection needed. Electrical requires a rough in and then a second to see that all the covers are on. The power company asks how much power you need, and they run it all the way to the meter can. To pass electrical you heed 4 outlets and 8 lights. Thats it. They told me that I could add anything that the meter load could handle. I have done a lot of lighting and outlets for welders and lifts and 110 power since. Added exterior lights and did not need any further inspections of permitting. So, build an engineered building of the appropriate size for your needs and they will walk away. Then build the stealth house and enjoy living peacefully. Taxed for one structure. The house will be super-efficient with the envelope effect. Ride up to the end of the building with a brick face and a couple of windows and it won't even look like what it is.

Last edited:
I always thought a metal building what was 60 by 100 would be the ultimate home build. Take the first 20 feet and build an envelope house inside the building. Separate it with a floor to ceiling wall with 2 layers of 5/8'' fireproof sheetrock on the house side of the wall and 2 layers of 5/8'' sheetrock on the out side. Use the next 20 feet as a drive through bay for all your parking needs with another 4 layer fireproof wall and then you would have 60 feet of shop. Build the building and live in a camper while you build the "stealth" house inside.

Here is what I learned when I built my 60 by 100 metal building. It is an engineered building so there are no inspections other than to come and see that the footers are done correct, and the final is an exterior walk around that says its built/completed. Thats it no internal inspection needed. Electrical requires a rough in and then a second to see that all the covers are on. The power company asks how much power you need, and they run it all the way to the meter can. To pass electrical you heed 4 outlets and 8 lights. Thats it. They told me that I could add anything that the meter load could handle. I have done a lot of lighting and outlets for welders and lifts and 110 power since. Added exterior lights and did not need any further inspections of permitting. So, build an engineered building of the appropriate size for your needs and they will walk away. Then build the stealth house and enjoy living peacefully. Taxed for one structure. The house will be super-efficient with the envelope effect. Ride up to the end of the building with a brick face and a couple of windows and it won't even look like what it is.[/QUOTE

Here is what I learned when I built my 60 by 100 metal building. It is an engineered building so there are no inspections other than to come and see that the footers are done correct, and the final is an exterior walk around that says its built/completed. Thats it no internal inspection needed. Electrical requires a rough in and then a second to see that all the covers are on. The power company asks how much power you need, and they run it all the way to the meter can. To pass electrical you heed 4 outlets and 8 lights. Thats it. They told me that I could add anything that the meter load could handle. I have done a lot of lighting and outlets for welders and lifts and 110 power since. Added exterior lights and did not need any further inspections of permitting. So, build an engineered building of the appropriate size for your needs and they will walk away. Then build the stealth house and enjoy living peacefully. Taxed for one structure. The house will be super-efficient with the envelope effect. Ride up to the end of the building with a brick face and a couple of windows and it won't even look like what it is.
Ware in the upstate are you located.I'm in anderson

I’ve been to nc and sc…military…Tennessee too…love tennessee WV is pretty awesome too…but I hate fucking humidity….it’s here year around…sweat your balls off taking a shower…move west…..or north…

LIVIT

I live in SC, about 25-30 miles inland from coast. Stay away from the coastal counties and the Myrtle beach, Murrells inlet etc... areas. The property prices drop significantly once you get inland from the coastal areas. Look in areas like Andrews, Hemingway, west of Conway. Stay away from Columbia, Charleston etc.. I use to live in Western NC, Asheville area, it sucks ! Costs in SC are much cheaper than NC. Good luck in your search.