odd number sprocket or even and other ?s

I recently got a old bird frame and have some questions to make sure I make it right the first time. I am looking to center my 6.5 clone in the frame and am going to use a jackshaft.

I am shopping for some new sprockets to put on a jackshaft and have a 10 tooth on my clutch , and a 72 on the tire. Would it make a difference if I used odd numbered sprockets or even numbered to avoid using half links so it runs smoother. Does it make a difference ?
I also plan on using two different chain pitches since I have a 41 p clutch and a 35 p rear sprocket. Any problems with this and gearing?

Would a band brake work better since I am using a jack shaft? Will a 5/8 jackshaft be enough for a 6.5 clone ?

thanks tb

CarPlayLB

You're overthinking this. No need for a half link. You can move the tire back or the engine up to get rid of the slack. The two chains will act independently. Bolt it together and run it!
I have a mini with a 5/8 jackshaft, o modded Predator, and my 260lbs of fat a$$ and it holds up fine. Let 'er eat!

Sorry for all the questions just want to make sure I get everything right the first time. The rear wheel is not adjustable and the engine plate wont be either after I drill holes to move the engine more to the center. I still have a one more question :doah:

Does the OldMiniBikes jackshaft kit comes with high speed bearings or the wheel barrow type like bmi?

Thanks for the replies tb

Last edited:
your life will be alot easier if you make the setup adjustable. Chains stretch especially with a clutch brake and you will need the ability to fine tune it. Its quite simple to make a slotted engine mount. just drill a hole at each end od the slot and one in the middle. cut out the excess with a dremel or simply twist the drill side to side and clean it up with a file. 5/8" jackshaft will be fine. I believe the OldMiniBikes jackshaft comes with good bearings. two different chain pitches is fine.

Hent

your life will be alot easier if you make the setup adjustable. Chains stretch especially with a clutch brake and you will need the ability to fine tune it. Its quite simple to make a slotted engine mount. just drill a hole at each end od the slot and one in the middle. cut out the excess with a dremel or simply twist the drill side to side and clean it up with a file. 5/8" jackshaft will be fine. I believe the OldMiniBikes jackshaft comes with good bearings. two different chain pitches is fine.
Agreed, make it adjustable or you're putting a lot of work in for more head aches in the future.

Our jackshaft kit does come with the high speed bearings....

After looking at my frame again I wont be able to make the holes in the plate because the frame is in the way :doah:. Thanks for the replies guys just ordered the parts I need.