OHH60 Power Sport Lighting Coil Question

All,

I have a Tecumseh Power Sport 6 hp OHH60 spec 71209E engine. I would like to add a lighting coil to this engine so that I can add a headlight to a mini bike. Will a OHH60 flywheel and lighting coil set up off a snow blower work.

Thanks in advance!

Hec

Does it have points or is it Solid State Ign??

Some snowblowers use low wattage lighting coils since they only power one small light.

If it's a Solid state ign (external HV coil) engine, I make a kit to add lights with enough amperage to run headlight, Tail light and brake light. I was selling them thru Brandt Hanson of "Rupp Midwest Performance" (Vintage Rupp Fun Machine Snowmobile, Minibike, Mini-Cycle Parts) but he hasn't asked for any in over two years. So I have parts to make some kits if you need one.

If it's a points ign, you can add magnets to the flywheel. For the HS50 I upgraded my Rupp Roadster to, I had the right style points assembly to put on, but not a flywheel. Since I already was making the lighting kits for the solid state engines, I played with the HS50 flywheel. Found the magnets at the hardware store. Had to stack two magnets and a small washer to get the right "gauss" level to power the lights. It worked great, just like the Rupp engines, dim at idle, bright at speed. Eventually got the correct flywheel at the minibike reunion in Windber. Still have the modified HS50 flywheel.

Here's a pict of the flywheel I modified. What you don't see, is that the magnets are spaced very evenly so to maintain balance. Took a little time to figure that out and get it right.
20160320_102815.jpg

Last edited:

delray

if you do your research. you still can find parts on ebay. couple weeks ago i found couple lighted coils and flywheels. flywheels look like they just glue some magnets inside them. also seen a ohh engine with lighted coil setup and a 12v starter on it. no one bid on it. price may have been little high.
s-l500.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600fly.jpg

if you do your research. you still can find parts on ebay. couple weeks ago i found couple lighted coils and flywheels. flywheels look like they just glue some magnets inside them. also seen a ohh engine with lighted coil setup and a 12v starter on it. no one bid on it. price may have been little high.
View attachment 83722
View attachment 83723
View attachment 83724
If I saw an ohh with all that I prob would have bid on it. :(

I have one of the kits on my Ariens Snowblower with a 7HP Snow King OHV engine, model OHSK70 (it was my guinea pig). Although, I used the lower amperage stator since it's only running one light. Yea, they are a bunch of different model stators that look very similar.

The kit basically is the stator shown above, magnets, glue, sandpaper, alcohol wipe (to clean before gluing), bolts, a template used to mark the magnets locations and instructions.

The magnets I found that have the right gauss (magnetic field) but need to be cut down to size. To do this I use a ceramic tile cutter. They also have to be orientated North/South/North/South so I paint them red & white (remember your old science classes?). They have to be placed at the right spot, for balance and correct voltage output..... or you can actually generate over 24v.

The differences between the "HS" & "H" and the "OH" engines is that the OH engines have less space behind the flywheel. You have to be careful of wire placement so that the wires don't rub the spinning flywheel. I have to cut the magnets differently for the OHH engines. On the HS/H engines, I cut them in half, on OHH they need two cuts, which gets messy in the saw. Also note the picture above...... the shroud backing plate looks to be two pieces. Many OH engines have one piece backing plates and they need to be tweaked so the wires fit.

Why did I create the lighting kit....... back in 2004, my son wanted lights on his Rupp Hustler, but it had a solid state ign HS40 engine. The price of a new stator & flywheel was over $175 and since the HS engines have different tapers on the flywheel, it may not have fit. Since I have an electronics degree, but don't really use it, I figured "hey, why not". It took multiple tries to get it right. Output dims at idle, and brightens at speed, just like the old Tecumseh engines use to do. At the mini-bike reunion, Brandt Hansen (Vintage Rupp Fun Machine Snowmobile, Minibike, Mini-Cycle Parts) and a few others thought it was a great thing, the kit was born the next year. My mom would be proud, actually using my degree :) .

Last edited:
All,

I have another question. On an OHH60, is the flywheel the same regardless of the stator used? This is pertaining to engines with lighting/charging circuits.

Thanks in advance

Hec

Last edited:
Bikebudy,

Not yet. Haven't had time. What should I be looking for other than the mounting studs? All the flywheels I see that have magnets appear to have 3 magnets on them. BTW I am committed to a lighting circuit now as I got a head light and tail light for my side car build. Sooooooo..

Hec

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
It would be good to know if you even have mounts ?

Old Aluminum flywheels had like 12 magnets ( points )

Newer steel/cast flywheels had 6 ( Points and Solid state )

Newer yet, only have 3 ( solid state )

As technology has changed, they have made them better.

bikebudy,

Thanks for the info man! Is there any tricks to removing the flywheel? I have removed flywheels on old Briggs Flatheads but I have never touched a Tec. Any special tools needed?

Hec