One owner Sears Fielder minibike survivor find - $5!

JKautoFab

so chasing after some ATV tires the other day, i spotted a minibike sitting outside the garage door of a PRISTINE yard. clearly an elderly couple's home as the house was well kept up and two classic chevrolets were under a carport (70's 4x4 square body and 80's monte carlo both mint)

i got my buddy to pull in the drive (even tho we were in a kia 4 dr already loaded with 6 large ATV tires) and ran up and knocked on the door. after a minute the old man came to the door and i told him i had spotted the bike and did he want to sell it...

"do you have five dollars?" i thought he was joking at first. 5 bucks? I would have easily handed him a 20 for it... what can one buy today for only five dollars? I only had a 20 but luckily he had change and was only interested in taking 5 dollars for it..

he walked around the house to help (watch) us load it up and tell us what he knew. I didnt know what it was looking from the road or when i asked to buy it but i knew it was vintage. when we came around the house to load it i noticed its condition... like many... missing a clutch with the rusted stuck chain still there. He told me his son had only ridden it a little before he tore up the clutch and parked it. had bought it for him NEW from sears.

the gas tank had been crushed and was full of water, fenders and clutch cover gone, but the engine turns freely and still has compression! tires pumped RIGHT up. I did notice the rear wheel bearings were going, and that led to some chewing up of the rear sprocket by a bolt in the swingarm... also looks like it took a tumble and was tweaked a little so ill have to straighten it a little.

I love it though, the chrome is great and its a full suspension bike with seperate tank which i love. havent found any replacements for the tank yet i actually cant find too many of these bikes even here on OldMiniBikes so i will just have to make do. the seat cover is ROUGH but i may just re-foam it and leave it as is... i can always re-cover it later

14233715_1396110320417575_1528231765_o.jpg 14203073_1396110303750910_691329062_o.jpg

for the record, i dont think hot glue works to seal gas tanks...and does anyone know where to get this bendy exhaust pipe?

.....That pipe is awesome nice score!!!
What a great find JK !

My first thought on seeing the exhaust pipe was "gee...the exhaust pipe alone would bring $50 easy"...:thumbsup:

I've never seen one before like this from Sears. A little time and some tlc, and you've got another nice mini bike.

Enjoy it !

JKautoFab

My first thought on seeing the exhaust pipe was "gee...the exhaust pipe alone would bring $50 easy"...:thumbsup:

I've never seen one before like this from Sears.
i said the same thing to myself about the muffler and shield... im gonna start polishing it up soon

Ive seen the rounded fender cutout in the number plate on another sears fielder, but it doesnt have it on the advertizement. the cutout seems too perfectly done to not be original and seems it would clear the fender (thats no longer there) perfectly when the suspension compresses

sears2_zps7ac30510.jpg

Wow! Super cool find. I'd send that seat to manchester1 and see what she can do. Have fun!!

Sent from my Texas Instruments Speak and Spell...[emoji2]

JKautoFab

sadly karen is a bit out of my price range... but i have a mother who quilts so i will try to bribe her into doing some of my seats. I have a local guy though that does top notch show-worthy upholstry for reletively cheap. my stapler is weak so i plan on doing as much as can as far as new boards, foam, and then take everything to him to finish.

Nice find.

Good to know I'm elderly since I keep up my yard and have "classic" chevys in the yard (69 gmc, 78 nova rally, and a 87 s10 blazer) being 36 years old.

Nice find.

Good to know I'm elderly since I keep up my yard and have "classic" chevys in the yard (69 gmc, 78 nova rally, and a 87 s10 blazer) being 36 years old.
you can get offended all you want, but if you saw this house you'd understand.

there is a difference between keeping up your yard and having every blade of grass pointing the same direction. you have to be retired to spend that kinda time on your yard

you can get offended all you want, but if you saw this house you'd understand.

there is a difference between keeping up your yard and having every blade of grass pointing the same direction. you have to be retired to spend that kinda time on your yard
Or disabled and equally have too much time on your hands, and I'm not offended was just amused.