One Question! Honda GX200

IJG

Hello'
I Acquired a GX 200 from a friend,Thanks Vern! :thumbsup:
Cleaned the exterior with a brush & gasoline,sanded the rust off the stock fly & magnet,cleaned the coil,
lightly oiled a new O-ring for the float bowl, put a new intake & filter, a new shotgun exhaust, & Now.. It won't turn over, :doah:
I did the kill switch wiring exactly like my doodlebug & predator. But nothing.So Here is My Question,
What do I use to set the coil gap from the fly wheel? By Eye ? or feel?
I wonder if a Levi's Leather identification Patch to thick to place between them or 1-3 pieces of notepad paper.
When i first took it off i thought they were wearing into each other, maybe they need to be that close.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipPFj-Hnlb1pxCHyxfCLmlGzBa8uAYURh6qMSEaw

IJG

I Just read on Hotrodminibikes.com that an upgraded Etube & Jet is needed when upgrading the intake & exhaust!
OldMiniBikes.com has 036- 037 & a 140 etube , Hotrod has the 035 jet & 140 Etube as well.
Hello'
I Acquired a GX 200 from a friend,Thanks Vern! :thumbsup:
Cleaned the exterior with a brush & gasoline,sanded the rust off the stock fly & magnet,cleaned the coil,
lightly oiled a new O-ring for the float bowl, put a new intake & filter, a new shotgun exhaust, & Now.. It won't turn over, :doah:
I did the kill switch wiring exactly like my doodlebug & predator. But nothing.So Here is My Question,
What do I use to set the coil gap from the fly wheel? By Eye ? or feel?
I wonder if a Levi's Leather identification Patch to thick to place between them or 1-3 pieces of notepad paper.
When i first took it off i thought they were wearing into each other, maybe they need to be that close.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipPFj-Hnlb1pxCHyxfCLmlGzBa8uAYURh6qMSEaw

3 business cards is as good as it gets without feeler gauges. I think a normal card is 10 thousands thick. but I would think if it was remotely close the motor would fire.

.030 - .040.

I used to use the liner from a pack of smokes.

If the coil comes loose and the armature leg hits that flywheel its game over.....
Flying bits of coil iron and mayhem.

make sure its tight.
Blue loctite is even worth using just to be sure they never back out.

Those bolts are 6mm I think?
seems to me about 6 foot pounds is right but look it up.

IJG

Since it isn't internals' i don't mess with torque , i just make sure ain't nothing gonna loosen up on me , most of the time things work out just fine.

Last edited:
Tight is good if you know what tight is, too tight is bad and can make things stretch and loosen up.

The flywheel is not the place to guess.
It's the grenade between your legs.

Twid

.030 - .040.

I used to use the liner from a pack of smokes.

If the coil comes loose and the armature leg hits that flywheel its game over.....
Flying bits of coil iron and mayhem.

make sure its tight.
Blue loctite is even worth using just to be sure they never back out.

Those bolts are 6mm I think?
seems to me about 6 foot pounds is right but look it up.
Best answer! I'd use feeler gauges

Last edited: