Opinions on fuel tank position

I like the second pic the best - cap looks better forward. I would move the tank a little more forward from the seat though - maybe an inch or so. I think it would look better that way.
Steve

I like the third choice, always liked a tank below the rails. You can make a cool mount that clamps to the frame then the tank to it. Like my Trailblazer with a side mount tank mounted low.

moetrout

can you move it further forward when it is below the rails? Maybe flipped and then moved forward so the opening is further from the seat, but maybe the other end is partially under the seat?

Where did you get that tank? I am looking for an alternative to the $100+ spun aluminum tanks. A 1 quart/liter round steel tank like yours would work.

Steve73

I always opt for function rather than looks. Accidentally sloshing fuel on your seat cuz the cap is too close is no fun. 2nd pic out of the 3 is a winner...

markus

I like them under the rails, out of the way within the frame. I really liked the bracket that they made/used on the "Flee" bikes, It held the tank in place very well, and was a clean setup.

can you move it further forward when it is below the rails? Maybe flipped and then moved forward so the opening is further from the seat, but maybe the other end is partially under the seat?

Where did you get that tank? I am looking for an alternative to the $100+ spun aluminum tanks. A 1 quart/liter round steel tank like yours would work.
Can't move it any more forward. Won't be able to get the cap off when mounted below the rails. The tank is an old Lauson tank (still has the stickers on it) that I found in a barn. Actually I found the whole thing (engine was toast) so I have the original bracket that I plan on using as well.

I like them under the rails, out of the way within the frame. I really liked the bracket that they made/used on the "Flee" bikes, It held the tank in place very well, and was a clean setup.

Markus is that bracket welded directly to the frame or bolted to another bracket/tab?

T-Town Mini

Mount it on top of the rails secured with some large hose clamps if you don't have any way to install it otherwise.
If you attach a cool looking mounting system to suspend it below the rails it might look better that way.

markus

Markus is that bracket welded directly to the frame or bolted to another bracket/tab?
it was welded on, they made a metal pinch ring and welded that to a tab.

you could maybe do a bracket of some sort and utilize the seat mount kinda like bonanza did. That way you could possibly put the tank under the seat with the fill cap just in front of the seat. Looks like there may be enough room above the engine

it was welded on, they made a metal pinch ring and welded that to a tab.

you could maybe do a bracket of some sort and utilize the seat mount kinda like bonanza did. That way you could possibly put the tank under the seat with the fill cap just in front of the seat. Looks like there may be enough room above the engine
I like that idea! I have the original bracket for the tank I'll be using.

I'm actually thinking of cutting it down and using just one of the straps to mount the tank. Would be a cleaner look and I could use the left over strap on another project. Thoughts on this?

I'm actually thinking of cutting it down and using just one of the straps to mount the tank. Would be a cleaner look and I could use the left over strap on another project. Thoughts on this?
Looks kinda' small as is. I would consider mounting it transversely under the frame tubes near the steering head (the taper of the frame would allow it to be more centered the further forward it is); mount it with the filler on the right side (assuming side stand is on the left).

Another option would be to mount it transversely on the downtubes; may necessitate a fuel pump.

delray

SaltCoupe, the old style band clamps and bracket you have are the best way to go in my opinion. the just work great. they don't damage the tank at all. for example anytime you use a hose clamp and go to tighten it up the back of the worm gear housing can dig into the side of the tank and damage it. unless you position under the bracket similar to what you got.
your style clamp just looks cleaner.:thumbsup: doesn't look like you rig it with a hose clamp..:doah:
also it doesn't hurt to put just a very thin rubber material over the bracket first before the tank sits on. makesure to use a good vented cap that doesn't piss gas out of the vent hole. if you are just using the standard vent cap with a paper gasket. i would pop out the gasket and install a very small piece of gas resistant foam. for example foam from a briggs air cleaner would work. that should help keep the gas from shooting up in your lap or worst into your eye's....:eek:

Last edited:
SaltCoupe, the old style band clamps and bracket you have are the best way to go in my opinion. the just work great. they don't damage the tank at all. for example anytime you use a hose clamp and go to tighten it up the back of the worm gear housing can dig into the side of the tank and damage it. unless you position under the bracket similar to what you got.
your style clamp just looks cleaner.:thumbsup: doesn't look like you rig it with a hose clamp..:doah:
also it doesn't hurt to put just a very thin rubber material over the bracket first before the tank sits on. makesure to use a good vented cap that doesn't piss gas out of the vent hole. if you are just using the standard vent cap with a paper gasket. i would pop out the gasket and install a very small piece of gas resistant foam. for example foam from a briggs air cleaner would work. that should help keep the gas from shooting up in your lap or worst into your eye's....:eek:
Thanks Delray! Very good advice. I'll be utilizing each of those ideas. This is why I come here to get ideas. Thanks again and thanks to everyone that replied to my post!