Painting

I plan on getting an Azusa kit (not sure if it'll be minibike or gokart, maybe both :laugh:) and it requires painting. Now, only painting I've done was on paper in middle school (I'm 21 now), so I'm pretty clueless.

What kind of paint would work best? Spray can or paint brush? Sorry, I'm just really new at this and would hate to ruin the frame before I even got to use it.

Thanks.

Thanks. Thats a longer process than I expected :eek:ut:
Well it depends on how much work you want to put in to painting it or how much $$$ your willing to spend to have it powder coated. Hands down powder coating is the most durable, probably best finish, and usually most $$$. However, doing a proper spray job on your own will come out looking good and durable IF DONE PROPERLY. I've always spray painted my frames because I really enjoy seeing the transformation.

Last edited:

buckeye

The longer and better prep results in a much better paint job. There is a couple of other threads on painting. I think there is a specific thread on frame and engine prep and painting. Do a quick search and see what ya come up with. Good luck.

Getting ready to paint an Azusa frame also and I am going to buy a small compressor (4 Gal) that puts out about 2.8 CFM at 90 PSI. ($170) and a Grizzly mini spray gun ($30). I have other uses for the compressor and spray gun.
A friend of mine painted the frame for me (he owns a boddy shop) and did a terrible job - So I am going to do it myself.
Auto paint is much better quality and more durable than what you get in the spray can, but powder coating is the best. The problem for me is that there is no powder coating locally.

If you are in a tight budget go with the spray paint can, just take the time to prep your frame.

Good luck

Kinda of an old thread but for anyone interested Rust-Oleum Rusty Metal Primer Spray is great, it dries to the touch fairly quickly but does take some time to cure properly.