Pep Boys And Baja Motorsports Woops!

I believe the clones are within EPA guidelines and more strictly regulated, the 2.8 on the DBs may or may not have been as well as the other Baja products like the dirtbikes and 4 wheelers possibly even warriors and heats! In any case the price is likely to go up on the clones to compensate for lifans share of the blame! I hope they get it straightened out! I would be cool with a flood of DB and warrior /heat rollers sold as a do it yourself kit type deal, OK now I'm dreaming but what a nice dream to have!

I have 2 clones ....I like the clones ..hell they run out good ..take honda parts and are cheap as hell ...hope this don't throw a wrench in the works ..?? But I also have several big honda engines ..one 9 hp one 11 hp one 13 hp ...So either way I can still put a few more mini bikes on the road ..My issue here in Alabama is there aint many mini bikes that are on the market ...I've got in 2 years ...I watch craigslist every day ...I want a taco and a bonanza but that won't happen till I go back to California to visit ...All I see here is manco and cat mini bikes :scooter:

I have 2 clones ....I like the clones ..hell they run out good ..take honda parts and are cheap as hell ...hope this don't throw a wrench in the works ..?? But I also have several big honda engines ..one 9 hp one 11 hp one 13 hp ...So either way I can still put a few more mini bikes on the road ..My issue here in Alabama is there aint many mini bikes that are on the market ...I've got in 2 years ...I watch craigslist every day ...I want a taco and a bonanza but that won't happen till I go back to California to visit ...All I see here is manco and cat mini bikes :scooter:
oldphocker, I thought I would never find a Taco or a bonanza chopper here in Oklahoma! But in one deal I got both! Things have a way of working out, if worse comes to worse there's always Ebay or even better a member here selling one, shipping comes in to play in either case but you are closer to the ohio valley and michigan, pa. area so a bonanza would be a more likely find! I love my clones too and will buy more if and when they drop below $100! Hopefully the stars will align with my finances and I can buy 2 or 3!

old phocker If you got cats minibikes in your area there not a bad minibike to restore. Most of them look cool. You could use them to trade for something else.

old phocker If you got cats minibikes in your area there not a bad minibike to restore. Most of them look cool. You could use them to trade for something else.
The cat I own was ( and is ) a POS and I did a hack job on it to fit a clone in it ....It goes like a bat out of hell and will wheelie with a blip of the throttle ..but It was a $5 mini bike literally LOL ...and it didn't help that a piece if steel fell from my shop ceiling during a storm and landed on the cat300 lol ...it looked like a real POS then ,So I drug out my welder and sawsall and got busy ...it's kool little mini but can never be a resto mini ...The kids ride the :001_9898: out of it lol ...:scooter: I'd love to get a bonanza and a taco like I had as a kid ( I'm 54) But I would like to get a honda trail 90 a mini trail 50 and mini trail 70 ...All in due time ...My older son is still in cali and I look where he lives on craigslist so sooner or later I'll get what I want ...:biggrin:

oldphocker, I thought I would never find a Taco or a bonanza chopper here in Oklahoma! But in one deal I got both! Things have a way of working out, if worse comes to worse there's always Ebay or even better a member here selling one, shipping comes in to play in either case but you are closer to the ohio valley and michigan, pa. area so a bonanza would be a more likely find! I love my clones too and will buy more if and when they drop below $100! Hopefully the stars will align with my finances and I can buy 2 or 3!
LOl I look all the time bro I'll get what I want in time ...Now I'm thinking of building a mini my self to put my 13 hp honda on ....:doah:

LOl I look all the time bro I'll get what I want in time ...Now I'm thinking of building a mini my self to put my 13 hp honda on ....:doah:
That's the spirit! You and I are old enough to know patience pays off! Building you own is a great idea, I have some stuff such as two OCC schwinn chopper bikes for fork donors and I see and pick up lots of metal on jobsites and big trash day before the scrappers get to it! I will build one when my other projects are done, whenever that happens! With your son in cali a Taco may be in your future!

I did a briggs 5hp swap on my doodle-bug......................is that like pooring gas on a fire?????:laugh:

FYI !!!!!
The Briggs 5hp was discontinued due to EPA Regulations.

I did a briggs 5hp swap on my doodle-bug......................is that like pooring gas on a fire?????:laugh:

FYI !!!!!
The Briggs 5hp was discontinued due to EPA Regulations.
I had a 5hp on the DB I sold as a roller to a dude for $150! I was trying to sell another one and he saw it with the 5hp off for a carb rebuild and woul'nd leave me alone till I sold it to him! I did'nt want to sell it so I told him$150 and damned if he did'nt pay it! I regret selling it still, I did'nt need the damn money! It is a good engine and it is going on my trailhorse next, I'm gonna put a BMI stamped steel clutch driven torque converter similar to a TAV and some 6" azusalite wheels with fat knobbies off my blue DB it will be sweet! The trailhorse has a clone on it now and some might scoff at that but it came with 3 rows of slots so it aint butchered! And the stock DB tank has a bracket so no holes there either!
OK we are way off topic now so let me just say if the clone prices go through the roof or are discontinued it aint the end of the world! You can repower anything with a little work and knowhow!

Last edited: