Personal speed record!

He guys, I haven't been around in quite some time. I just wanted throw my 2 bucks in here (inflation, sheesh, used to be 2 cents). Anyway, my personal speed record on a mini was last year on my Sears & Roebuck/ Roper 5hp Briggs. 47.924mph on level ground. Got up to full speed in about 4 blocks. I did 2 runs up & back and that was the top speed traveled. :scooter::cool2:

Joe,
Now that you best your previous personal record, I believe a world record is in order.
I think Depends, Hanes and Charmin may be appropriate sponsors if you build something for the Salt Flats....
Larry
HMMM a World Record!! You may have something there! Let me work on this one. Jo

Joe,
I don't know how old you are, but in my younger day, flying over the handlebars was just the cost of doing business.

Now that I'm older, the mere thought of tasting stones and gravel makes my bones ache.

I wonder if the California Timing Assoc. has a record category for mini bike with training wheels:glare:?

Nitrohorse I am a very young 47ish with All,, Most,, well Some of my viger as a youth.
I drink napam and pee fire! No I drink Milk and pee all the time. Let me look into that Calie thing. Jo

Joe,
You're four years younger than me, so you're more suited to attempting land speed risks...I'm mean records, than I am..ha..ha
I have a project going (MTD) and it's over in the project log forum. I was doing some gear ratio calculation on a karting site and based on the figures I supplied, my bike should do 49mph at 3700 rpm. Considering that I'm taking the governor off and a reasonable redline of 5000, I should be able to tickle 55-60. I almost spit my coffee out of my nose when I seen those numbers pop-up.
I heard that doing 60mph on a mini bike is the leading cause of incontinence for men over 47?

Nitrohorse I'm your man. The permission note from the wife expires in 11 months 26 days.
I'll break out my custom leather Members only jacket for the run. Jo

Joe,
I glad to see that you're not willing to pass up on this chance of a lifetime.
I can see this record run propelling you into the same status as Tony Stewart and Jeff Gordon.
I'll have a contract drawn up that outlines the share of all proceeds realized by this exclusive business venture.
I guess I'm going to start looking for the proper bike to convert into the next 110 MPH record holder. I think 110 should get us into the books.

You might want to start scouring the local yard sales for a used Nomex firesuit and a slightly used helmet. No need to tax the funding budget right out of the box.
I'll also try to line up a few sponsors such as Depends, Tylenol, Johnson & Johnson, Preperation H, and Imodium to name a few. I feel all these sponsor would benefit from our endeavor.

Joe,
After spending what seemed like hours (15 minutes tops), I found a "streamliner". It has enough frame and fork length to keep it stable as we reach the 100mph mark. In fact, the tires look pretty good. I would certainly ArmorAll them to increase the drag coefficiency, but that's about all those speed rated Carlisle knobby 3.50/4.10 X 5's need to tear up the salt flats.
I also have a 35hp Sachs snowmobile engine and a 20 tooth drive sprocket to use. That combination should catapult us ahead of all the other mini bike entries. I think we'd have to tow it up to about 60-65 till that tired Sachs starts to gain enough compression to run on it's own and take it up to the century mark. To be honest, I do have some mild concerns about stability issues at 100mph on the bike below.

Last edited:
I'm just a driver and have no clue about tooth count and knobby tires! I'm sure what ever wheels you put on I'll drive them right off. 100mph you say! I my have to were a helmet. I have a old leather one with ear flaps but may have to upgrade. I'm really stoked had to lay off the gin sin tea this morning. TO THE RECORD BOOK's ... Jo

Joe, a driver such as yourself should not be burdened with worrying about starting the engine. We will have some high schools kids doing most of the R&D and wrenching on the bike.

I would suggest that you start a training program to get yourself mentally prepared for this enormous challenge.
I would think that a fifth of Jack Daniels and a 40oz Bud for a chaser should clear the mind for the record attempt.
The Japanese had a name for it, but I can't remember it for the life of me.
It has something to do with the "Devine Wind" or something to that effect.

I do like the retro look of an old leather helmet. I think it woudl be excellent for all the photos that many of the good folks at Bonneville will want to take of us.
I'm sure people will stare at us when they catch a glimse of the "Rocket on Wheels". Advanced technology always draws a crowd...

Hey all the Snow is melting and I'm just up from a looong winters nap. This is going to be my best year ever! I shaved off 3/4of a pound of weight duing the off season and am ready for the next speed attempt. Details to follow! Jo