Phoenix Ridge Runner project

Hey guys just thought I would post some pics of my Ridge runner project.

I didn't take any pics when i first brought it home. My father in law bought it from a bike grave yard in Arizona some years ago and never worked on it. When I asked him about it, it was located on the junk pile. so I brought it home and started to work on it.
this bike has to be from the late 50's early 60s the motor is from 59...
have a look

Last edited:
Dang, that sure is different. Pretty cool. That's got one heak of a Big Rear Sprocket on it. :thumbsup: :biggrin:
Well, it might go 12 to 15 mph, definitely faster than running...
the big sprockets are aluminum.. i find that weird. it has a 2 speed jack shaft. I guess you would have to change it manually. it has a ton of torq that is for sure. I have got it running and I made a seat for it. Just trying to find more info on it. look to be hand made/ home made.. so I am wondering if indeed it is a true 60's vintage ridge runner made in Phoenix....

Aaron

Dang, that sure is different. Pretty cool. That's got one heak of a Big Rear Sprocket on it. :thumbsup: :biggrin:
the motor sprocket goes to that big sprocket, which is on a jack shaft. that jack shaft has 2 more smaller sprockets on it that go to the sprocket bolted to the back wheel. it has really heavy chain on it in my opinion.

Its a real bike. The guy who posted on your what is it thread showed us an advertisment.
there is no question that it is real, there are things on this bike that make me question if it is a clone or not. for instance the rims are like wheel barrow rims with bearings. on the back wheel, the way the sprocket is mounted it just strange for a bike that was mass produced. they took the wheel barrow rims and put a piece of 4 inch diameter pipe one there to space the sprocket out from the tire. then they drilled 6 holes for 5 inch bolts to go through the rim, go on the outside of the piece of pipe and through the sprocket. that is how the rear hub was made. I guess I want to know if this is original or someone tried to copy the bike.
it is constructed out of 1/4 aluminum angle and bolted together. Could they not weld aluminum in the 60s.

If this is truly an original bike, I will leave it as it is and not ride it so much.
the sprockets are all aluminum, the chain idler gear is aluminum as well. too much use will start to wear out all these parts. and these parts you cannot find.

this is my concern. it is a cool old mini, i got it running good. not the fastest but it will take you and a passenger up a hill will little effort. (220 lbs total)
Should I drive it or should I look at it?

Aaron

Sieve

Hell ride it. I ride my MTD. Im shure its original. It's high price prolly made it a low produced bike. Who knows, maybe there are only 5 of these things.

Hey Super Nova 71, I've got one of these mini bikes, I lived in Arizona or 10 yrs
I picked mine up off Ebay and it ran! I am currently working on it to get it running
again. I'll send some photo sooon. I'm am new to this site as of today.
So it will take me a few days get some photos together.
Denny
in Orange city, Florida
email neohillbilly@rocketmail.com

Greetings, Came across this site recently and tried to get my father to join but at his age computers are kinda foreign. He would be able to answer any of your questions as he was the designer and manufacturer. A couple of things about your Ridge Runner: Originally came with a Salsbury torque converter and either a Briggs and Stratton or later models had a Kohler because they were cast iron and as long as you kept oil in them ran forever according to my dad.
Would be glad to ask him about any questions you might have.
Good luck on your rebuild.

Greetings, Came across this site recently and tried to get my father to join but at his age computers are kinda foreign. He would be able to answer any of your questions as he was the designer and manufacturer. A couple of things about your Ridge Runner: Originally came with a Salsbury torque converter and either a Briggs and Stratton or later models had a Kohler because they were cast iron and as long as you kept oil in them ran forever according to my dad.
Would be glad to ask him about any questions you might have.
Good luck on your rebuild.
it has been a long time since i check this post... my ridge runner has a Tecumseh motor, seems to be the same vintage of the mini bike itself.. how many of these were made?