Picked up a HF welder

What is a good price and place to buy a bottle/regulator?
Your local welding supply shop for the gas. Same deal as any other gas product, you initially pay for the tank and the gas, with subsequent refills only costing the gas. I use a 75% Argon 25% CO2 mix for shielding, because I need all of the help I can get.

For the regulator, it depends on what you have. In Randy's case, HF probably has the regulator, if not the welding supply houses will have what you need.

Don't forget to change the polarity when you change to shielding gas, as well as buy another roll of non-flux wire. And if you're like me, buy plenty of grinding wheels for your angle grinder.

This is the single best tool purchase you will ever make for the hobby.

delray

randy bought a welder.........wow
just like the guys where saying. if you can change it over to gas? you will really like it......:thumbsup:
see you at windber......:scooter:

Your local welding supply shop for the gas. Same deal as any other gas product, you initially pay for the tank and the gas, with subsequent refills only costing the gas. I use a 75% Argon 25% CO2 mix for shielding, because I need all of the help I can get.

For the regulator, it depends on what you have. In Randy's case, HF probably has the regulator, if not the welding supply houses will have what you need.

Don't forget to change the polarity when you change to shielding gas, as well as buy another roll of non-flux wire. And if you're like me, buy plenty of grinding wheels for your angle grinder.

This is the single best tool purchase you will ever make for the hobby.
Thanks, I just got a Lincoln/Eastwood off of Craigslist. :thumbsup: I did pick up a small spool of flux core to play with until I get a bottle.

IIRC, Randy works outside in the wind, so he can forget about shielding gas. Flux core only for him. Like Dave said, flux core means reverse polarity (most likely, your machine will,say on the inside) so don't forget that.

Any wind or breeze will blow the shielding gas away, leaving any welds made that way not shielded at all , they will be brittle and weak. Shielding gas is for indoor shop use only. You could rig something up like a plastic garage or something but welding out in the open with any breeze at all renders the shielding gas pretty much useless.

Flux core is convenient but it is dirty. And I mean dirty, black smoke and tons of Sparks and slag and spatter. Adjusting your settings can help slightly but it really is just the nature of the beast. You might want to go back to harbor freight and buy some grinding/sanding wheels because you are going to need them. Flux core requires more finish work than welding with shielding gas because of the increased spatter and slag.
Also take care to wear a heavy sweatshirt, long sleeves, gloves, even a welders hat under your welding mask, because sparks are going to burn you if you don't. Just a warning.
But other than that, the flux core welding process is fine, I have welded tons of stuff in the construction field with zero issues. As always, be mindful of the duty cycle of the machine you are using and you should be fine.

I use the core flux welder from Harbor Freight. After I bought some better wire, my welds were a lot better. Not great, but better.:laugh:

Last edited:
I take a nozzle gel spray and spray the entire area when welding flux core. It comes close to eliminating all the spatter. I am pretty sure it's Hobarts.

Doc

This has nothing to do with the welder I picked up. But these rods were sitting on the old bench I got from the GM plant. I don't know if they would have used them building the bench or on the cars. Any idea what they would be good for?

bruces

This has nothing to do with the welder I picked up. But these rods were sitting on the old bench I got from the GM plant. I don't know if they would have used them building the bench or on the cars. Any idea what they would be good for?
Pretty sure that's a stainless steel rod

That's a gouging rod I think, for cutting not welding. Works on mild steel, stainless steel, Monel, cast iron and aluminum. The AC/DC was a dead giveaway (aluminum usually uses AC, steel usually used DC although there are exceptions to the rule)
To be honest Randy they probably used that gouging rod to cut everything apart inside the plant for removal, like heavy girders and stuff like that.

Just my opinion I could be wrong.

Also take care to wear a heavy sweatshirt, long sleeves, gloves, even a welders hat under your welding mask, because sparks are going to burn you if you don't. Just a warning.

Don't forget earplugs. It only takes one spark to make you go deaf. And it hurts like hell.