Picked up another doodlebug today. I sold it long ago.

I picked up another DB-30 Doodlebug today. The bike has a bone stock 6.5HP clone installed in it. Unfortunately, it has been sitting some time. At least since last September. Now, clone motor's do not usually gum up too much and run badly, but this bike has a few malfunctions.

The gas petcock was left turned on. The bike fired right up on the second pull. It always took a long time to warm up and nothing has been done to it since it was new. So, the choke would stay on until the thing got hot, from day one.

This baby needs some work to get it back in shape and after a short nap I decided just what I may do to get the bike back in tip top shape, before I ride it or sell it off.

First, I have lots of spare parts to use. I will start by removing the fuel tank and getting rid of the old fuel, rubber washers and fuel line. Put fresh fuel in it, (91) octane. Replace the rubber washers on the front of the gas tank and redo the fuel line as it is old and maybe dry rotted.

Second thing, I have a brand new carburetor from a GX-200 to try, since the darn thing won't run without the choke being half on. It just craps out and stalls.

Third, It could not hurt to put another spark plug as I have several to choose from.

Fourth, I also have another brand new Honda GX-200 air cleaner assembly to try out.

Now, I got fresh, fuel, spark, and air.

Fifth, It needs to have the chain adjusted as it has stretched on me.

So much for a turn key project. It looks like I got 1 days work to get it to run without the choke being on at all.

I am pretty mechanically inclined. But am asking if I am forgetting something important?

After all that work the bike should run like a top or to the scrap yard and it will go and will be parted out.

Thanks for reading this. I appreciate all the hard liner's looking to see if a puzzle piece is missing? Also, for the newbies to see what needs to be done.

Thank you for selling the bike back to me, it feels like it is back home from college. I have hydraulic brake cables, header's and many hop up parts, which I choose not to use.

TT Out!

george3

I picked up another DB-30 Doodlebug today. The bike has a bone stock 6.5HP clone installed in it. Unfortunately, it has been sitting some time. At least since last September. Now, clone motor's do not usually gum up too much and run badly, but this bike has a few malfunctions.

The gas petcock was left turned on. The bike fired right up on the second pull. It always took a long time to warm up and nothing has been done to it since it was new. So, the choke would stay on until the thing got hot, from day one.

This baby needs some work to get it back in shape and after a short nap I decided just what I may do to get the bike back in tip top shape, before I ride it or sell it off.

First, I have lots of spare parts to use. I will start by removing the fuel tank and getting rid of the old fuel, rubber washers and fuel line. Put fresh fuel in it, (91) octane. Replace the rubber washers on the front of the gas tank and redo the fuel line as it is old and maybe dry rotted.

Second thing, I have a brand new carburetor from a GX-200 to try, since the darn thing won't run without the choke being half on. It just craps out and stalls.

Third, It could not hurt to put another spark plug as I have several to choose from.

Fourth, I also have another brand new Honda GX-200 air cleaner assembly to try out.

Now, I got fresh, fuel, spark, and air.

Fifth, It needs to have the chain adjusted as it has stretched on me.

So much for a turn key project. It looks like I got 1 days work to get it to run without the choke being on at all.

I am pretty mechanically inclined. But am asking if I am forgetting something important?

After all that work the bike should run like a top or to the scrap yard and it will go and will be parted out.

Thanks for reading this. I appreciate all the hard liner's looking to see if a puzzle piece is missing? Also, for the newbies to see what needs to be done.

Thank you for selling the bike back to me, it feels like it is back home from college. I have hydraulic brake cables, header's and many hop up parts, which I choose not to use.

TT Out!
seems like it should work fine

Thanks, George. It's nice to hear a positive comment from you..lol

Well, I got up early this morning as I was going over in my head what needed to be done?

I made a pot of coffee to get me going at 6:30 AM and went to work tearing the darn thing down and inspecting it.

The result was changing the entire carburetor over to original Honda. In case you want to know the choke lever had fallen off the new carb. and the old one popped right on. They are interchangeable.

The spark plug looked fine. A little black on the threads and tan inside.

Drained all the fuel after removing the fuel tank outside and replaced the fuel line with the red line I got from OldMiniBikes...The fuel pickup on the Honda carb. was facing the wrong way. I choose to just leave it at 3:00 o clock close to the fan shroud. The clone carb. was facing at 12:00 o clock.

Next, I will gas her up and put Mobil 1 oil inside it. I keep wanting to install the hydraulic brake cable however, I want to keep the cost down on this bike.

It took less then 1.5 hours to get it done. I got lucky it was pretty easy. :laugh:

TT Out!

On some days like this afternoon. I just as well have kicked back and relaxed all day. Nothing but problems today after the carburetor. Made a mess draining the oil. Found numerous thorns in the rear tire that had to be removed. The wheel came off easy, I have a spare tube to use on it. I just need to get a patch kit and continue on I guess?

Some days your a windshield and on other days your a bug. Yep, today I am a bug.

Found one new bike I have my eye on. I must be very tired today as nothing has gone right all day except this morning. :doah:

TT over and out!

On some days like this afternoon. I just as well have kicked back and relaxed all day. Nothing but problems today after the carburetor. Made a mess draining the oil. Found numerous thorns in the rear tire that had to be removed. The wheel came off easy, I have a spare tube to use on it. I just need to get a patch kit and continue on I guess?

Some days your a windshield and on other days your a bug. Yep, today I am a bug.

Found one new bike I have my eye on. I must be very tired today as nothing has gone right all day except this morning. :doah:

TT over and out!
Your idleing prob sounds like the prob I just had. I was missing the air adjustment screw. I just filled the hole with silicone:thumbsup: