pinewood derby win

MB165

This years pinewood derby was a few months early, to boost up membership numbers we merged with another pack.
We made a simple wedge with tungsten weight in a precise location, right at 5.00 ounces. I trued up the wheels on my drill press with some sandpaper wrapped around a file, leaving at least 40-60% of the origional tread like the rules stated. We used the revell brand axles, they are BSA approved and are much nicer than the kit provided ones, no burrs, nice and round....no prep really needed on them, and a good slathering of graphite lube on every surface on the wheel. My son drilled the wheel holes, hand sanded the body and spray painted four coats of duplicolor gloss black by himself, same paint as I use on the old tecumsehs... The "gas pedal" won every heat and final....he took the overall win. Most finishes were close...a car length or even less some more....plenty of nail biting to go around.
what makes this win satisfying is the dads in the other pack "engineers" with their cnc, lathed wheels and axles couldnt beat his car....
The other pack we merged with had looser rules with their wheels, and of course didnt bother to tell us. Even though the written rules specifically state wheels which come in the derby car kit musy be used, the kids cars passed tech and were permitted to use the CNC'd custom wheels and titanium axles. I figured it was all over....but as they say, it aint over till its over..........and boy there were some surprised dads to see their high dollar goodies were falling to a kid built car. Not too many came by and congratulate us....haha

Last edited:

trinik7597

that is awsome your boy looks real proud :thumbsup: me and my boys have a couple wins under our belts but my little guys last car went undefeated den and pack don't know who was more happy him or me :laugh:

toomanytoys

Thats one happy kid!

I remember my pine wood derby, I didn't kill it, but I had a blast!!!

I was in a hobby shop last week, and was amazed at all the stuff they had. When I was a kid you got 4 nails, a block of wood, and some plastic wheels!

delray

nice......:thumbsup:
i remember helping my nephew and niece wth pinewoods . my nephew won every year in his class and my niece ran hers in a family open class and won too. the last year he ran pinewoods his friend where getting little mad and saying he was repainting the same car and winning,so i told him to bring all his olds cars and trophys and put them on display....:laugh:

Congrats on the win MB. Brings back some very old memories, not just of when I did it, but when my kids did as well.

Last year, member 45t's son also won the derby. :thumbsup:

...what makes it so satisfying is the dads in the other pack "engineers" with their cnc'd wheels lost....
Great job and congratulations! I bet it feels good to beat the "professionals. I bet the only thing those kids did themselves was name the car and watch dad work.

I hate to admit it but I was one of those engineer dads (literally, have a mfg. engineering degree). I also have organized and run our pack race for 4 years.

Back in the first couple years we won a pile of trophies, even a couple of district races... and spent WAY too much money and time. I got sucked in. I hardly let my son touch the cars. I was a jerk.

I changed my ways though when I saw a kid win everything 2 years ago. As the race coordinator, he and his mom came to me the day before the race with a pile of stock parts and a rough wedge of wood that was covered in sticky blue RustOleum. All we had time to do was drill the axle holes, add lead, and assemble. No axle prep, no wheel prep. He won everything with a car slapped together in 15 min. We engineer types had our asses handed to us by a 6 year old, add loved every minute. LOL!

Again, Great job! Good luck at the district race! Show those engineers who's boss!

45t

Congrats on the win MB. Brings back some very old memories, not just of when I did it, but when my kids did as well.

Last year, member 45t's son also won the derby. :thumbsup:
We had our Pinewood derby last weekend too an he won again and my daughter too. There were 50+ scouts racing in the pack race and then there were about 20 cars in the open class. My son won 1st in his age group and the grand champion overall the age groups in the finals, with a Cat Eliminator wedge car. My daughter won the open class with a car that sorta resembles an older Ferrari with a snowwhite princess sticker on it. I did notice this year that a lot of the cars had been modified beyond what is allowed in the pack rules, but my sons car still edged them out. My daughters car was actually faster than my sons car. I'm still trying to figure that one out? :shrug:

Congrats on your son's win. Districts are fun, enjoy the extra time racing with your son. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
That is awesome that he won and showed the cheaters who was boss!! It's good to see that he won and I hope that the cheaters all wake up and see that they are not setting a good example for their kids!