"Po' White Trash" stretched DB30s payoff test ride

Daniel Coop

Sad to report that I blew my head gasket racing a friend
She started sputtering and eventually stalled out and wouldn't restart. Found the leak by spraying cold soapy water on the cold engine and then starting it
This mark was my clue as to what to look for. Have a thicker copper head gasket (.016) on the way from NR Racing.

Daniel Coop

Let me introduce you to my little friend... The new power plant.
Copper head gasket, yes, but not the 5 bolt Grayhound clone. A new 212 short block with flat top piston with ARC billet rod and flywheel
With a modified, milled .070 and ported clone head...
With 25 & 27mm stainless valves, 26lb springs, stainless retainers, and billet 1.3 ratio roller rockers, custom length chromoly pushrods and an Isky Black Mamba Jr cam. The 5 bolt will be fixed and put on my new budget DB.

KB2ROCKET

Let me introduce you to my little friend... The new power plant.
Copper head gasket, yes, but not the 5 bolt Grayhound clone. A new 212 short block with flat top piston with ARC billet rod and flywheel
With a modified, milled .070 and ported clone head...
With 25 & 27mm stainless valves, 26lb springs, stainless retainers, and billet 1.3 ratio roller rockers, custom length chromoly pushrods and an Isky Black Mamba Jr cam. The 5 bolt will be fixed and put on my new budget DB.
were those rocker tips always that color?

Daniel Coop

Ready for the bike... Now I just have to get the bike ready for it. Changing up the drive system and ditching the PMR jackshaft system. Looking at either a Premier Stinger drum style clutch or maybe if my wallet allows an SMC 3 disc Bully clutch​.

Daniel Coop

The only 3 pieces re-used from my original setup, the LBA header, the UNI air filter and PMR clutch cover. I decided on and ordered a Premier Stinger clutch from OldMiniBikes with a 14t needle bearing (bully style) hub. It's a 3900 RPM stall 3 shoe, quick adjust drum style racing clutch that I have heard great things about. I'll connect it to a 62t split sprocket with RLV gold chain. I'm excited to try it, but now I have to paint match all the other red items... Ugh. Can never leave well enough alone.

Daniel Coop

Got my Noram Premier Stinger clutch and some other goodies from OldMiniBikes today. Just in time, I had been preparing the bike for it.
Before removing the old motor, I mocked up a cheap chain and clutch on the bike. The chain tensioner bracket wasn't welded on straight after the stretch, but I didn't notice until after it was powder coated. It didn't matter at this time because with the jackshaft system I didn't need the tensioner. I tried tweaking it straight but it twisted, so I cut it off...
And made a new one and welded it to the powder coated frame.
Managed to match the powder coating with a little spray paint and don't think anyone will be able to tell when I'm done and it's together.
I also painted up another stock DB tank I had to match the new motor.

Daniel Coop

I like the red you used on your engine. What color is that? Also is that power coat red or rattle can spray paint?

Danford1
Thanks Danford1, That is a rattle can job. I've gotten pretty handy with these rattle cans and have experimented with different products and techniques. It's a metallic gold base coat with multiple layers of a transparent red.. Creates a candy like finish.
The same process I used to paint my (unfinished) budget DB project wheels. If I told much more I'd have to wack you...lol. Don't want everyone biting my style. Like your 3 Build-Off bikes! I entered 3 bikes also but eventually realized I could only finish one to my standards.

No need to tell any more and no need to wack me. lol.
I built 4 bikes for the build off, 2 Vintage and 2 Vintage Open.
I used base coat/clear coat on 3 of them. The other one was solid urethane single stage.

I like the end results you get with your methods. Very nice clean look. Great job!
The red valve cover really sets the engine off.

Any idea how much hp it will make?

Danford1

Daniel Coop

No need to tell any more and no need to wack me. lol.
I built 4 bikes for the build off, 2 Vintage and 2 Vintage Open.
I used base coat/clear coat on 3 of them. The other one was solid urethane single stage.

I like the end results you get with your methods. Very nice clean look. Great job!
The red valve cover really sets the engine off.

Any idea how much hp it will make?

Danford1
It dynoed just shy of 19HP @ 5,500RPM

Last edited:
"It dynoed just shy of 19HP @ 5,500RPM "

Damn ! That is great and I like the 5500 rpm too. You aren't spinning it to the moon.
Did NR Racing build the engine or did you do it yourself?
That would be an very fun ride on a minibike :)

:thumbsup:

Danford1

Daniel Coop

"It dynoed just shy of 19HP @ 5,500RPM "

Damn ! That is great and I like the 5500 rpm too. You aren't spinning it to the moon.
Did NR Racing build the engine or did you do it yourself?
That would be an very fun ride on a minibike :)

:thumbsup:

Danford1
Oh, it'll spin close to 8,000RPM...The Black Mamba JR cam has a 275 lift and with the 1.3 ratio roller rockers, lift is now increased to 357! 5,500 RPM is just where max HP is achieved. Power starts falling off slightly from there and it doesn't make much power after 7,500RPM. I wish I could take full credit for it but I don't have a machine shop or a Dyno to build such an awesome motor. The motors I build, can't hold a candle to this one that my good friend Dan at Childish Concepts Racing built for me. I'm making all my friends faster and needed something that would stay ahead. The NR Racing sticker, is just that...a sticker. One of my favorite new vendors I have found for engine parts.

Last edited:

Daniel Coop

With the motor in the bike I decided to take off the front wheel to paint to match the new motor and gas tank

After blasting off the old paint, I polished the outer rim lips, then masked off to paint the centers.
Gold base coat on and dry, I masked off the polished lips again for the candy red finish.

Davis

Oh, it'll spin close to 8,000RPM...The Black Mamba JR cam has a 275 lift and with the 1.3 ratio roller rockers, lift is now increased to 357! 5,500 RPM is just where max HP is achieved. Power starts falling off slightly from there and it doesn't make much power after 7,500RPM. I wish I could take full credit for it but I don't have a machine shop or a Dyno to build such an awesome motor. The motors I build, can't hold a candle to this one that my good friend Dan at Childish Concepts Racing built for me. I'm making all my friends faster and needed something that would stay ahead. The NR Racing sticker, is just that...a sticker. One of my favorite new vendors I have found for engine parts.
That's some big hp outta a bored carb howd he do that?

Daniel Coop

That's some big hp outta a bored carb howd he do that?
Milling, boring, porting and polishing, some stout parts,. high lift and compression. On 104 octane unleaded fuel at basically sea level on the Dyno... I'm @ 6,000ft and 100 octane is about the best I can find around. I've got an assortment of low speed (pilot) and main jets to play around with, so my results will undoubtedly vary.